Can I Stretch my Belly Button with Ear Gauge?

I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago and was left with a tiny belly button. Its so small I could only use the stick of a Q-tip to clean it. I seen people stretch their little ear holes to these huge gaping holes and wondered if I could use the same technique to stretch my tiny belly button.

Tiny belly button after tummy tuck

+1

Before I went the route of a do it yourself fix, I would call a plastic surgeon in your area as this might be improved with an umbilicoplasty.  It might even be able to be improved under local anesthesia in the office.

Belly button like a Q-tip after tummy tuck

+1

Stenotic belly buttons are usually from scarring.  Stretching rarely helps in this situation and scar revisions employing z-plasties are usually more successful.  Talk to your surgeon about this to see what he/she can offer you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Belly button is small

+1

Tiki,

There are many nonsurgical ways to stretch your bellybutton.  The first question to answer is if this happened because of scar thickening.  If so, the stretching techniques are less effective.  This is something that your surgeon can determine.  The best first step would be to proceed from there.

Best wishes, Douglas Hargrave ,M. D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

+1

These have been successful in some patients. Be wary of inserting anything that you might not be able to retrieve. 

Hopefully you have discussed options with your surgeon. Sometimes Kenalog injections and or scar remedies are effective. 

All the best. 

Correcting The Too Small Bellybutton After Tummy Tuck

+1

You definitely can stretch your belly button with a variety of inserted devices. The question is how much relapse will happen when you eventually remove the expanding device...most likely near 100%. But there is no harm in trying if you are prepared to do it for months. The use of an ear gauge may work better to stabilize a surgically enlarged bellybutton as it would be more effective to prevent scar contracture rather than achieve actual scar expansion.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Belly Button Too Small

+1

The answer is yes, you can stretch it with foam ear plugs and even smaller gauges.  However, if it is too tight you may need surgical revision and steroid injection.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Small Belly Button

+1

Yes, you can stretch a small belly button with an ear gauge or a marble. It is important to understand why the belly button is so small. If there is excessive scar tissue massage or stretching may not be enough. Ultimately you may require surgerical correction. This can be done under local anesthetic in the office.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Stretching a small belly button

+1

Hello. Stretching out a small belly button is possible. Massage the area and use a marble as a gauge. If after this your belly button still looks unacceptable a revision may be done under local.

Jaime Perez, MD
Tummy Tuck Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Yes, there are ways to stretch the belly button.

+1

Thank you for the question.  Marbles, beads, and other items such as ear gauges can help stretch out the belly button.  Your plastic surgeon may be able to help as well with an injection of steroid if the scar is thick or stiff.  If this method does not help you may choose to have your belly button revised.  A small belly button can be made bigger fairly easily under local anesthesia.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD