How Effective is Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks?

I have severe stretch marks from pregnancy that go above my belly button. How much of this can I expect to reduce with a Tummy Tuck?

I am within normal height weight range and have excess skin (apron) as well. I'm 45 and in great health.

Tummy tuck and stretch marks [With Video]

+2

In most cases, all of the stretch marks from your belly button down to the top of your pubic hair line, as well as any on your hip bones, should be completely removed.

Stretch marks that we usually can't get rid of are the higher ones that run from the belly button up to the ribcage, although it all depends on the patient.

Stretch mark removal

+2

If you are the rare fortunate patient whose stretch marks are entirely confined to the lower abdominal apron removed in a tummy tuck, they will all be gone after surgery. The rest of the world have more than that but usually pulling those remainders tighter will make them look better in my experience.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Stretchmark Removal

+1
While a tummy tuck can help you get rid of these stretch marks, it probably won't be able to get rid of all of them. For a better evaluation please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Stretch marks above the belly button cannot be removed.

+1

Hi!

I don't want to discourage you.  Most of our abdominoplasty patients in Manhattan are VERY HAPPY, even with some remaining stretch marks.  But the truth is you cannot get rid  of all of them.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Combined 1540 Fractional laser and Infrared skin tightening best for stretch marks removal

+1

Tummy tuck can only remove stretch marks within the skin that is removed during surgery.

For the rest of the skin, the only procedure I have seen that works is a combination therapy using the Lux1540 fractional laser combined with the Lux IR Deep infrared skin tightening treatments.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Many are removed - not all

+1

It all depends on how much excess skin you have, I always remove the skin between the pubis and belly button - if you have a lot of excess skin - skin and stretch marks above the belly button can be removed - and usually the rest are repositioned below the belly button . Talk to your surgeon -- they will explain it to you. In detail.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

The amount of stretch marks removed depends on your skin elasticity

+1

Unfortunately, there is no good solution for addressing stretch marks other than their surgical removal. The amount of stretch marks that are able to be removed depends on the amount of skin that is able to be removed during a tummy tuck. Depending on the elasticity of your skin, you may be able to have some of the stretch marks removed that extend above your belly button.

Discuss the surgery with your plastic surgeon so you are comfortable with what can be achieved.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

If the skin goes so do the stretch marks

+1

The only known way to get riod of stretch marks is to remove the skin that has them. Your Dr. should be able to show you the options. In order to remove the skin above the belly button with a tummy tuck the incision may need to be higher.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Need to excise the skin with stretch marks

+1

Unless you excise the skin containing the stretch marks, the stretch marks will not improve and sometimes can look work after abdominoplasty. While it is possible to remove the damaged skin above the belly button, it usually means your resulting scar needs to be located higher than ideal. You can either remove the damaged skin above the belly button and accept the location of the resultant scar, or predetermine the maximum height of the scar and remove only what skin you can without needing to move the scar higher.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD