Can Stretch Marks Be Surgically Removed?

I have recently within the last two years started developing stretch marks on my upper outer thigh. I was thinking about how in a tummy tuck the doctor removes most of the stretch marked skin and pulls it tighter. Can this also be done in other areas? I have a recent surgery scar from lipo and it blends well with my skin. Is this a possible option in areas such as the outer thigh?

Stretch marks, fraxel, vbeam,

+1

Skin lasers can help lessen the stretch marks. We use Vbeam, Fraxel or other lasers to treat the stretch marks and have achieved excellent results in the past. We published our research on over 100 patients. Patients are generally quite satisfied. A consultation is ofcouse is required before the treatment.

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/laser/laser_scar.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Surgical Removal of Stretch Marks

+1

Please bear in mind every single stretch marks CAN be removed but that doing so will replace one scar (the stretch mark) with another scar. A stretch mark is not a "mark" but a crack through much of the skin. As the skin is rapidly stretched, it literally cracks and the fault line fills with permanent scar tissue. This tissue CANNOT be erased with pills, lasers, rollers, topical creams or ointments nor by anything on the market today. Removing damaged, stretch mark covered skin is possible depending how having enough skin to allow closing such wounds AND will always leave a permanent scar which if not easily hidden (as is the case with thighs) may be worse than the stretch marks.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.