I Have Stretch Marks and Lose Skin After Pregnancy. What Are my Options to Fix my Stomach?

I am 23 and just had my first baby 3 months ago. I have lose sagging skin and alot of stretch marks below my belly button. My husband and i are unsure if we want any more children in the future. If we do decide to have more it wont be for at least 3-4 more years. What are my options to correct my stomach issues? It has taken a serious toll on my self esteem. All opinions and advice are appreciated.

Lasers for stretch marks not effective

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. A tummy tuck will remove those stretch marks. Anything short of that will likely not give you the result you have envisioned. Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Stretch marks and loose skin after baby

+1

There are several non-surgical options available for tightening skin and decreasing the appearance of stretch marks after pregnancy.

Skin tightening can be accomplished with IPL, such as Sciton's SkinTyte or Thermage, a radiofrequency device. 

Skin tightening in combination with fractional laser resurfacing helps decrease the appearance of stretch marks.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mommy makeover - tummy tuck

+1

Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to know what your options or how much sagging skin you have. It sound like you may be a candidate for an abdominoplasty but that procedure is best performed when you do not plan on having additional children. Stretchmarked skin is removed at the time of abdominoplasty but not all of that skin can be removed in every patient. Sometimes a portion is removed and the remainder is lower down where it can more easily hidden by clothing. Stretchmarks that do not extend above the belly button level yield a better result.

If the excess skin is minimal you could try a non-surgical treatment (laser or radiofrequency device), especially if you plan on having more children.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD