Do Stretch Marks Indicate Loose Skin After Weight Loss?

I'm 14 years old and have stretch marks. Will I get loose skin when I lose weight? I'm planning on drinking lots of water, using a lot of moisturizers, and losing weight slowly (0.5-1.0 body fat a week).

Stretch marks as indicator of future loose skin after weight loss

+2

After weight loss, the skin has a remarkable ability to tighten up. For individuals with extreme weight loss (100 or more pounds), there frequently is redundant skin, but in the case of pregnancy or people who are mildly overweight, the skin should tighten right up on its own. The presence of stretch marks is no indicator of future loose skin after weight loss, whatsoever.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Stretch marks and skin elasticity

+1

By definition stretch marks are consistent with a lack of elasticity. This may also be associated with excess skin. This can be associated with weight loss or rapid tissue stretching. If associated with excess skin, then the skin removal may help to plate the stretch marks on stretch and decrease their prominence.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Marks = Skin Cracks

+1

When young skin is rapidly stretched out, it frequently cracks resulting in Stretch Marks. Depending on their extent, the elasticity of the skin is damaged and the skin will not be able to shrink normally. Stretch marks are PERMANENT and despite all the marketing hype you CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO ERASE STRETCH MARKS.

Losing weight is a good thing to do IF you are overweight. I would NOT advise you to do so by starving yourself. On the other hand, staying fat to avoid POTENTIALLY seeing loose skin does not make much sense either.

Dr. P. Aldea