If I Have Strep B Vaginally. Will This Cause Infection in a Tummy Tuck Scar?

hi when i had my children i was told i have strep b vaginally and needed antibiotic cover during labour to prevent issues for the baby iv heard of other woman who have had a strep infection in their tt scar would this be due to strep b like me or does it not travel and they had a different form of strep infection,, im really worried thanks nenee

Abdominoplasty infection

+4

nenee,

This is an insightful question.  Group B strep can normally be found in 10%-35% of all healthy adult women. It can commonly be found in the intestine, vagina, and/or rectal area. Most women who are carriers of the bacteria (colonized) will not have any symptoms; however, under certain circumstances, both infection of both the mother and/or newborn can develop.  This is definitely an issue during child bearing, but not one during a tummy tuck.  In general, most women are treated with an antibiotic following a tummy tuck.  This will treat common skin flora including strep and staph.  Wound infections are most commonly staph.  There are a multitude of normal flora throughout your body.  There are risk factors for wound infection including diabetes, obesity, lengthy surgery, malnutrition, immunocompromed state, etc.  Barring these issues, you should not be terribly worried about infection which is uncommon with tummy tuck.  Good luck!

Group B strep colonization and possible tummy tuck infection

+3

Prophylactic antibiotics will be administered at the time of surgery by most surgeons. However, it is important to maintain proper wound hygiene after the procedure to minimize contamination of the wound. That having been said, it would be very unusual to see an associated infection.