Strech Marks on Breasts After Breast Augmentation: What Are my Options?

I got my breast augmentation april 22nd 2011. I was a very small A-cup before my augmentation and i got 600CC medium profile saline implants under the muscle. I now have deep dark strech marks and the scars from the implants are 2 inches long. also my implants seem very wide set and hang over the edges of my sides. lastly my nippls look like torpedos they also seem to rest in an awkward teardrop position and the left implants has settled a half inch lower then the right. Can this be fixed? how?

Stretch Marks and Other Problems Following Breast Augmentation

+3

I could provide a better answer if pre-operative pictures were available. You do not list your height and weight, but for the average patient I see, 600cc implants are quite large. The post-op pictures show that your implants almost touch in the midline, and given your comments about the lateral fullness, I would agree that your implant base diameter is too large for your frame. Typically this can be avoided with proper pre-op measurements and implant selection.

The lateral picture does show some prominence of the nipple-areolar complex (NAC), which does appear to resemble what one might see with a mild tuberous breast deformity (this is where the pre-op pictures would be helpful). Many patients with tuberous deformity have a narrower breast width and the implant diameter should be matched accordingly.

The scar length you describe is necessary for a silicone gel implant of that volume, but saline implants can usually be inserted through an incision which is slightly shorter. The coloration of the scars will continue to improve with time (6 months or more).

From the pictures provided, it is difficult to determine if the inframammary scars are level and the implants are not, or vice versa. At this early stage, your implants have already settled below the level of your inframammary scars, and they may still continue to settle a bit further over the next few months. As a result, the left NAC is already high-riding on the left breast mound (can’t evaluate the right NAC from the pictures provided). You will likely require revision to raise the inframammary folds with internal sutures; at which time your implants could be changed for new ones with a smaller base diameter. Smaller diameter implants will require further pocket modifications with sutures to properly position the implant and prevent lateral migration.

Pre-op photographs may show whether you had stretch marks before surgery. Sometimes expansion and stretching of the breast skin, following augmentation, makes stretch marks more visible because they appear wider. The color may also be pinker during the recovery period, but this will usually improve over time.

I would definitely disagree with the statement, “Surgery does not make new stretch marks”. The occurrence of stretch marks following augmentation in women who have had children is uncommon. But stretch marks can certainly be caused by large breast implants in young, nulliparous women with tight elastic breast skin.

Stretch marks are scars because they are dermal tears beneath an intact epidermis. Stretch marks are difficult to treat, but generally require some combination of retinol, Intense Pulsed Light, Laser Genesis, Skin tightening, and/or fractionated laser treatments depending upon their appearance and location.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so you can better understand what options are available to you.

Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

The stretch marks can be due to the large implants.

+2

You have tubular breast and your implants were too big for your breast tissue. Your stretch mark will improve. The shape of the nipple and implant position over the left breast will require surgical revision.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Weakness in the skin is accentuated by the weight of the implants I am not sure if your stretch marks will get better or not

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Stretch Marks Following Large Breast Augmentation

+1
Patients choosing large breast implants who have smaller tuberous breasts with tight skin are at more risk than average for stretch marks.  The good news is that stretch marks really improve over time.  In addition, Vitamin E based moisturizers such as Palmers Stretch Mark Lotion, can help.  This is available in most drug stores.   Laser treatments can speed the resolution of redness. 

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Wrong base width and proifile of implant

+1

Echoing was most others have said, a 600cc moderate profile implant is far too wide, and projection to width ratio unfavorable for a tuberous breast. I generally reccomend high profile combined with a circumareolar mastopexy for my tuberous breast patients.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

You will need downsize the implant and capsuloraphy

+1

I think the implants are too big, and that is why they will show at the edges, and also it looks like you have implant ptosis. The implant dropped too much. I would downsize the implant including its diameter, and you may need capsulorapphy.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Wrong size implants.

+1

It looks like you did not choose the correct implant.  Pre op photos are helpful but it is obvious the implants are a little wide for your frame and do not have enough projection. 

Breast Implants and Stretch Marks

+1

Thanks for posting after pictures.  It would be best if you could also post before pictures.  The stretch marks were most likely there before the surgery.  Surgery does not make new stretch marks.  However, they may be more apparent now with the implants in place.  In my opinion, your implants have a base diameter (width) which is too large for your body.  My suggestion would be exchanging to a smaller base diameter implant and redefining your inframammary fold.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD