Are Strawberries a Natural Teeth Whitener?

I heard on TV that strawberries can whiten your teeth, naturally. I think they said to mush them up and brush with them. Is this at all true? How drastic would the results be and how often would you have to do it?

Are Strawberries a Natural Teeth Whitener

+2

I am guessing you probably heard right!  There is an article on the web quoting Dr. Adina Carrel DMD, a dentist in private practice in New York on this subject. Strawberries combined with baking soda, produce malic acid.  This acts as an astringent to remove surface discoloration, buffing away wine, coffee stains and stains from dark sodas.  This is by far no replacement for a bleaching treatment done in a dental office, but it is a cheap and natural way to brighten your smile. The recipe for this is to crush the strawberries to a pulp, then mix with the baking soda until blended. Use a soft toothbrush and spread the mixture onto to the teeth and leave on for 5 minutes.  Then brush thoroughly with toothpaste to remove the mixture and rinse.  A little floss will get rid of the seeds and you can apply it once a week.  Be careful not to use it too often because the acid can damage the enamel of the teeth.

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Strawberries are NOT a natural tooth whitener

+1

I would be concerned that the strawberries could actually stain your teeth. I would be interested in seeing the source of your information.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Strawberies are good for your health, but they are not used to whiten your teeth

+1

Strawberries are good for your health, but they are not used to whiten your teeth. There is no scientific data about whitening properties of strawberries:)

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.