How is Strattice Sterilized?

My doctor wants to use Strattice for my breast reconstruction. I understand that LifeCell's other product, Alloderm, is not terminally sterile. Is Strattice terminally sterile? How is it sterilized (i.e., gamma, ETO, Ebeam)? I have been reassured by my doctor on safety. I just like to do my own homework also.

Strattice and AlloDerm in Breast Surgery

+2

Both products are very safe FDA approved dermal matrices.  AlloDerm is derived from a human cadaveric source and Strattice is a xenograft which means it comes from a porcine (pig) source.  Board certified plastic surgeons have extensive experience with these products in breast surgery.  As with any modalities, there is a learning curve.  I have extensive experience with both products and I do not believe there is any increased risk for infection.   

Strattice

+1

Strattice is an alternative to Alloderm and is from pigs and considered a xenograft. It is sterile and safe.

Alloderm and Strattice Safety

+1

Both implantable materials are extremely safe.  Strattice is prepared a little differently since it is porcine derived and not human derived.  Both of them have an extremely low infection rate.  I have used both hundreds of times without any sign of infection developing.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon