Strange texture after juvederm voluma. Can this be rectified? (Photo)

Hello there. I had juviderm voluma in my tear troughs as I had a lot of volume loss. Although there is definitely an improvement I do not like the raised areas where you can see the filler through my skin. Can this be rectified? Thanks

Treatment of nasojugal and orbitomalar grooves with hyaluronic acid fillers

+1
One of the great things about the hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Juvederm Voluma, Restylane, Belotero, Perlane) is that they can be quickly and easily dissolved.  The raised areas of visible filler could be treated with a hyaluronidase such as Vitrase, and should improve the appearance of those areas.  

That being said, for superficial injections and for treatment of under-eyes, Belotero and Restylane are better options as they are less likely to be visible than Voluma in those areas.  

Voluma in tear trough

+1
The FDA approved Voluma for the deep layers of the connective tissue of the cheek area. It is typically placed just over the periosteal lining of the bone. This does not mean that other areas cannot be treated: most medications, including other fillers of course, are used for other indications outside of the specific FDA indication, and we all benefit mightily from that.  But there is not much experience, and no studies to date, in the tear trough area.  It is a very robust filler, with a high G-prime and lifting capacity, and it is quite firm and not as easy to spread around as, for example, Beletero, and, unlike Beletero, it could show if it is placed close to the skin.  

It seems to have given you a good correction, but if you are not happy with it showing you will want to have hyaluronidase injected rather than waiting for it to be resorbed as the longevity of this filler is at least two years.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Juvederm to tear trough

+1
Voluma is designed to be injected in the deep tissue to add cheek volume. When placed more superficial it can bee seen/felt.

I recommend you discuss your concerns with your physician. One of the advantages to using Voluma is that it is in fact "reversible" with an enzyme injection.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma

+1
Juvederm Voluma is really designed to be put in a bit deeper and into the central and upper cheeks. It's not a great filler for the majority of people into the tear troughs. If you don't like it, it can be removed with hyaluronidase. That and time are the options to remove it.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD