Very Strange Sensation when Breathing After Reconstructive Rhinoplasty?

I had reconstructive rhinoplasty about 6 months ago. My then overresected septum was partly reconstructed with rib cartillage. My breathing is now very strange. When I breath in, air gets to roof of my mouth. This leaves me very dehydrated at night, to the point where my tongue gets leathery! What is going on?

Breathing issues after rhinoplasty

+1

THe rib cartilage that was used might be still causing this obstruction.  There is still swelling in the nose and at night you are breathing through your mouth.  THere are exam maneuvers that your surgeons can do to help you figure out exactly what is going on.  Have him or her take a look.  It might be solvable issue without the need for any further surgery. Good luck

Dr. Vasisht

South Shore Plastic Surgery

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

+1

It sounds like you have nasal obstruction that worsens at night causing mouth breathing which creates the dry sensation.  You might want an examination of the nasal airway as well as a sleep apnea study or a fiber optic nasopharynx exam.  The septal reconstruction might be causing some airway obstruction.

Strange breathing post-rhinoplasty

+1

If this is happening only at night it may be that you are now breathing more through your mouth while sleeping, which would, of course, cause dryness in the mouth cavity. I highly suggest that you see your surgeon and ask about possible nasal airway obstruction when you lay down.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon