I Have a Straight Nose but I Want It to Be Shorter, What Would the Surgical Procedure Be? (photo)

The reason why i don't like my nose is because it makes me feel gawky, and makes my lips look smaller

Shortening the nose

+2

Based on your pictures, I don't believe that aggressive shortening of your nose in the traditional sense of the word is the right procedure for you. Shortening the nose typically is defined by making the length between the nasal starting point to the tip defining points shorter. If this is done, if can give one an upturned look.

I believe that your nose is slightly overprojected and would benefit from a little deprojection, resecting some of the musculature between the lip and nose, making the nasal spine smaller, slight decrease of your columellar excess, and conservative shaving of your dorsum. The last part is necessary if the tip is deprojected or else you can end up with a more convex nose.

As you can tell from the answers, rhinoplasty is a complicated, nuanced procedure, and therefore you need to go to someone who performs a large volume of rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Michael Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

A reduction rhinoplasty by minor modifications

+1

Based on your facial analysis and nasal profile, you have slight dorsal hump and hanging columella with poorly defined supratip.  I would recommend slight reduction of dorsal hump and lifting the columella by reduction of a portion of septum. The end result would be a smaller and harmonious nasal feature for you. Good luck.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Getting shorter nose with rhinoplasty

+1

Your tip could be deprojected (brought in closer to your face) with rhinoplasty. A full face analysis and discussion would allow for a better assessment of whether you would also want to increase how upturned your tip is at all.

To improve your nose's balance with your lips I think that addressing your columellar position would also be very useful. Your columella is quite full on profile view and creates a shorter upper lip. Rhinoplasty can improve this relationship.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Shortening the Nose

+1

The nose can be shortened by increasing tip rotation which can be achieved by removing part of the end of the septum or simply repositioning the tip with sutures to the septum. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will explain your alternatives.

Successful rhinoplasty is all about balance

+1

All aspects of the nose should be balanced. Most often minor adjustments need to be made to all parts of the nose to retain or obtain a symmetrical nose. Reduction of a small hump can even affect tip position and angle. In order to get the best result seek out a rhinoplasty specialist. I like using computer imaging to simulate changes and review what works best on your face.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal issue

+1

Thanjks for the photos. It looks almost like you have a slight tension tip which pulls on the upper lip do to some over projection. A small reduction is dorsal height, and tip refinement may help but a thorough exam in person is key.

Shortening the nose

+1

Your nose appears to be over-projected and that is the reason your lip seems small since it is "pulled away". This can be corrected by rhinoplasty.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shorter nose

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. Your frontal view photos are limited. To get a shorter nose and a softer look, you need dorsal (bridge) reduction. This would rotate the tip upward and give you a shorter and smaller nose. The actual tip from the photos looks fine. The boney sidewall is difficult to evaluate. In person consultation is the best way to address your concerns and plan surgical treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

The nose and lip can change with rhinoplasty

+1

Your question really highlights your own observation that your nose "makes ..my.. lips look smaller"

• The area that you upper lip and nose meet is a common site that can be adjusted with rhinoplasty 
  • see another answer on the depressor muscles of the nose 
  • I think you can discuss your priorities with your consulting surgeon so that you can better assess the possibilities. 
  • Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

In reviewing your photos you would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty. Schedule a consultation in person with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. You will more than likely have some computer imaging done and will know if you're on the same page as your surgeon. 

David Alessi, MD