strabismus surgery

Hi, i've just had strabismus surgery which has gone reasonably well. However, my upper eyelid is closing by about 20-30%, which is worse following the strab surgery. My strab surgery was covered by private medical cover. Is it likely my eyelid surgery will be (if i say it was caused due to the strab surgery) Im 95% blind in this eye too. I'm ok looking up, but not at eye level. If its not covered, what estimate would cost be?

Post Strabismus

+1

Thank you for your question. You may want to wait a full year or longer to evaluate the surgery after all healing has occurred, or until your surgeon tells you the result is complete. Then you can be evaluated by a board certified surgeon or oculosurgeon, and you may need to go to a university level of evaluation given your condition. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Post photo

+1

It is possible that insurance may cover the ptosis [droopy eyelid]. Most insurances will need preauthorization that will be initiated by your surgeon.

If it isn't covered by insurance, it would cost somewhere between $1500 and $3000 dollars depending on the surgeon and whether or not it is done with local anesthesia vs IV sedation.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon