Stopped Wearing my Compression Garment After 2 Days Post Smartlipo, Still Okay?

I had smartlipo on my abdomen Monday. I have asthma and despite how i tried to sleep with the garment on, I couldn't breathe. I removed it and put it on the next day for a few hours.. It's thursday and I have put it back on as I have noticed my abdomen is tender and swollen. I want to know if I made a mistake by not wearing it and if I should call my doctor? I do not want to jeapordize my results. I'm 23 years old in fairly in good health, wanted the lipo for some excess fat removal and contouring.

Compression garment vs breathing

+1

It is necessary to wear the compression garment after liposuction, as this will decrease the chances of seroma formation and contour irregularities in the areas liposuctioned.  However, I would discuss with your plastic surgeon and your asthma doctor so a happy medium can be achieved.

Garment after Smartlipo

+1

In our practice recommend our patients wear their garment for 2 weeks after surgery, only to remove it for laundry and for you to shower. 

Ben Hugo, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment

+1

We suggest wearing the compression garment for at least one week, only removing to shower. If you cannot tolerate the compression garment then try wearing spanx instead. This will help with any swelling or discomfort you may have. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Garments and liposuction

+1

I usually recommend wearing a garment for 3-6 weeks after liposuction, yet some surgeons do not use them at all. I doubt that not wearing it for a few hours caused any long term issues. Speak with your surgeon about the post-op care that he prefers.

Smart Lipo and use of compression garmet

+1

My compression garment policy has changed over the years and I really never recommend a garment that feels tight after any surgery.  I really don't think you have made a mistake. 
Give it time and consider using a garment that gives you a little support without discomfort.  With Laser assited liposuction, I discontinue most garments after 1 week. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Asthma

+1

Well you have to breath but, perhaps you should call the doctor that treats your asthma. In general the more compliant you are with the garment the faster and probably the better the results.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD