Will Oxygen Mask Used During Surgery Affect my Rhinoplasty Results?

I stopped breathing during surgery. The oxygen mask was pressed pretty hard against my face and the surgeon said he is afraid some of the work may have been damaged. The cast was already in place before the incident but Im afraid when I remove the cast it will be crooked. How long should I wait to correct my nose by re-doing the surgery?

Nasal Cast Protects the Nose

+1

If the cast was in place before the trauma secondary to a relatively soft oxygen mask, you probably will be fine. When the cast is removed, swelling will have decreased, and your surgeon will be able to evaluate nasal appearance. He/she may recommend an immediate revision if necessary.

Nasal Revision Surgery

+1

Hi,

Hopefully your rhinoplasty results were not affected by the pressure of the oxygen mask.  Your rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to let you know once your nasal splint is removed.  If there is an obvious nasal bone problem, that can be taken care of within a week, otherwise any revision surgery should wait for at least 6 to 12 months.  Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty should be revised in two weeks if there is deformity.

+1

Hi.

We have seen this once.  Be optimistic. You may not have any deformity after your rhinoplasty.  But a significant deformity or asymmetry will be obvious right away.  At two weeks, much of the swelling is gone, and the bones are not yet set.  So this would be a good time to go back in if necessary, in your unusual situation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)