I Stopped Breast Feeding 31 Months Ago, I Started to Lactate Today. I'm 2 Days Away from my Breast Augmentation Surgery?

Will I still be able to have surgery? If I'm lactating a very small amount?

Lactation And Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Carey,

It important to have your surgeon in the loop of the newly rising changes you had. If the lactation is considered as a trace then the surgeon will mostly go ahead with your surgery.

Nonetheless, I believe that it is up to the surgeon's assessment to make the final decision since lactation will increase your risk of infection.

If needed, there are medications used to stop your lactation so you can reschedule your surgery once the issue is resolved.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Nipple Discharge Before Breast Surgery

+1

The only person who can answer your question is your plastic surgeon.  Most likely it will depend on how much nipple discharge there is.

If there is significant concern, it may be in your best interest to postpone your surgery until this concern has been worked up.

Best Wishes.

Breast lactating

+1

You should definitely notify your surgeon.  If there is only a small amount of discharge from the nipple you probably could proceed, but it is a call the surgeon should make.  the lactation may increase your risk of infection especially if an areolar incision is planned.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Implants and Lactation

+1

Generally active lactation is a reason to postpone your breast implant procedure because it increases the risk of infection during surgery.  Call your doctor as soon as possible to discuss your options.  While I am sure you are eager to get your breast implants, the extra risk of infection is not worth it.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Lactation and breast augmentation

+1

Lactation can happen months after breast feeding, but you should probably evaluate this before surgery.

Lactation prior to breast augmentation

+1

I agree with the previous posts in this blog. Although some physicians use superglue over the nipple to seal them, and others use occlusive dressings over the nipple, the possibility of infection is not worth risking.  Lactation can occur from many causes including pregnancy and pituitary hormone excesses. Those should be evaluated prior to your augmentation.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Brestfeeding

+1

Usually we tell our patients to wait 3 months after they are completely done breastfeeding before even coming in for a consultation.31 months should be enough time. You should call your surgeons office and ask him if he sees it as a contraindication. You need to make sure your not putting your self in high risk for an infection.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation and Lactation

+1

Post pregnancy, it is recommended to wait 3 to 6 months after lactation has stopped before having breast surgery. This is done to minimize complications associated with operating an actively lactating breast.

Lactation not associate with pregnancy should be evaluated. Nipple stimulation can sometimes be the cause, and a small amount of discharge may be normal. It should still be worked up.

If you are scheduled for breast augmentation, or any breast surgery, and have begun lactating, the best thing to do is call your plastic surgeon and let them know what is happening. They can best inform you about how to proceed.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Affects of Lactating on Breast Augmentation

+1

If you are actively lactating, I would not recommend breast augmentation.  This may result in contamination of the implant and subsequent infection.  When you put an implant in the body, the conditions for sterility should be optimal.  Infection can lead to scar tissue and a less then optimal result that may not be correctable.

Wait until you have completely stopped lactating, check with your surgeon and let him examine you prior to proceeding with surgery.

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon