Still Producing Breast Milk. Is It Safe to Undergo a Breast Augmentation and Lift?

its been 11 months that i havent been breastfeeding now, but i still have breast milk. after giving birth in a 1 yr period i lost around140 pounds.. maybe that has something to do with it?

Wait for Breast Augmentation if producing milk

+1
I do not recommend a breast augmentation or any procedure on your breasts while producing milk. Massive weight loss affects many organ systems and I would speak with your primary care doctor or an endocrinologist about why you are still producing milk.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/augmentation/

I would not recommend that you undergo a breast augmentation while you are still lactating

+1

In my breast-feeding patients, I have them wait a minimum of three months after any discharge, before performing a breast augmentation. There's a possibility of increased infection and other risks including capsular contracture. If you are still lactating months after you've stopped breast-feeding, then you may need to see an endocrinologist regards to your prolactin level.

Lactation and Breast Augmentation

+1

I would wait at least three months after lactation has ceased before having a breast augmentation. You may also need a mastopexy due to the weight loss. Your breast size may shrink after you stop lactating and you may need a larger implant. 11 months of lactation after breast feeding and I agree that you need to visit with your OB/Gyn or endocrinologist.

Good Luck

Leo Lapuerta Jr. MD

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Persistent milk production

+1

You should check with your ob/gyn as to why you are still producting milk 11 months after stopping breastfeeding.  I would hold off on the augmentation until this is resolved.

Don't be in a hurry to get breast surgery after breast feeding.

+1

Congratulations on achieving such a significant weight loss after your pregnancy. You should speak to your family doctor or OB/Gyn about your persistent milk production this long after you stopped breast feeding. It is important for the breast to not be undergoing change at the time of planning cosmetic breast surgery. It is also important to postpone surgery if you are considering more children.  Once your weight has been stable for several months and your breast is no longer producing milk - breast augmentation or breast augmentation with a breast lift is safe and much more predictable.

Operating on a partially lactating breast greatly increases the risk of complications such as capsular contracture, infection and large breast cyst formation. Another rare side effect of breast augmentation is the stimulation of breast milk production. Fortunately this is uncommon and usually stops as the post-surgical swelling subsides. All the more reason to make sure your breasts have settled back to normal before having cosmetic breast surgery.

Dr. Mosher

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and breast feeding

+1

Although different plastic surgeons may not agree how long after the breast stops producing milk it is safe to place breast implants almost all will agree not to do so while the breast is producing milk. The risk of milk collecting around the implant causing problems is too great to make it worthwhile. This is different from having a baby and breastfeeding sometime after having breast implants placed. I do not think the weight loss has anything to do with your continued production of breast milk. On the contrary severe starvation prevents the production of breast milk.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

It's better to wait...

+1

You should wait until you stop lacation and the breast goes back to a pre pregnancy shape. This may take 4-6 months after stopping lactation. If your concern was that you are still producing milk  long after you stop breast feeding then I would recomment you see your OB to have it checked.

In general it is better to have breast augmentation and lift few months after you completley stop producing milk.

Lactation and Breast Augmentation

+1

You should wait until your lactation has stopped completely for 3-6 months and your weight is stable.

If the lactation does not cease soon, you should have it evaluated by your gynecologist.

+1

I would request a clearance from a endocrine/ OB/GYN doctor before doing an implant (foreign body). It is a what if issue. What if you have an implant and get an infection from the lactating effect??? From MIAMI