Can I Stop Wearing my Compression Garment After Lipo on Flanks?

I had breast augmentation and smart lipo on my flanks, 200cc's removed on each side. I've barely felt anything from the lipo, but have quite a bit of swelling from the breasts. I would LOVE to take off my compression garment as it's the only annoyance I have at this time. I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. Do you think it's ok to stop wearing it?

Liposuction of 200 cc from Flanks and Compression Garment

+1

The compression garment is recommended by most plastic surgeons for a period of 4 to 6 weeks after  liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post Op Liposuction - Compression Garment

+1

Thank you for your question. I would continue wearing the garment especially if there's still swelling involved. It will give you the best result. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question. This is not at all an uncommon question. If a surgeon closes the incisions, as I do, the patients will typically wear their compression garments for at least 6 weeks post operatively as the tumescent solution that remains after suctioning is left "trapped" beneath the skin. The garments are used to keep the swelling down and help in the absorption of this remaining fluid under the skin.

Some surgeons will use what is known as the "open-drainage technique" in which the skin incisions are not closed. In these patients the garments are worn for an additional 24 hours after the drainage stops. This is usually in the range of 3 to 6 days.

In either case it is best to have this discussion with your surgeon. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

Almost all plastic surgeons recommend the use of compression garments after liposuction.  However, the length of time to wear is very surgeon dependent as well as procedure dependent.  I usually recommend that patients use compression garments for 4-6 weeks after surgery.  It does really help keep swelling down.  Check with your surgeon on his/her recommendations.

Naveen Setty, MD

Wearing compression garment after liposuction

+1

After a liposuction, wearing a compression garment can help decrease bruising and discomfort.  the garment can also help in longer term shaping.  Although different patients can heal at different rates, I usually suggest patients wear the compress garment for 4 to 6 weeks.  Some patients have found it to be helpful to wear them ever a little longer.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and garments

+1

Every surgeon is a bit different in terms of garment instructions. Some do not even recommend its use.  I refer patients to wear it a minimum of 3 weeks. Best to check with your doctor.

Liposuction and garments

+1

It is extremely important to wear a compression garment after liposuction to keep swelling down. Every surgeon has a different protocol. You should check with yours. I recommend wearing a compression garment for 6 weeks after liposuction. But you also had an augmentation, if the garment is effecting the augmentation consult with your surgeon.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after liposuction

+1

Compression garments are routinely needed to minimize swelling after liposuction. It's best to check with your plastic surgeon for guidance on when to stop wearing compression

Stanley Okoro, MD