Stop Invisalign Early? Waiting for Trays But Doc Says It's For Spacing?

My dentist mentioned to me that she lost two of my trays, which are being re-ordered. After these two, I have three left before I finish my full set! She said that, on her software, these three are indicated as "brown" (versus "blue") and are only necessary if there's further spacing issues. Just wanted to fact-check this and make sure that I'm getting all the trays I need. My teeth seem decently straight, but I got Invisalign for my bite. Should I ask her for those trays? Thanks!

Last few trays are not always required

+2

The treatment plan by your doctor seems to have the regular course of treatment (in blue on ClinCheck) followed by the overcorrection trays (in brown on ClinCheck).  The treatment can stop any time in the treatment depending on how your results look and most often, overcorrection trays are not required.  These trays can be used to close additional space, overrotate certain teeth, etc.  They are often ordered ahead of time to try to avoid the need for refinement because of issues that could have been resolved by increasing movements that may not have happened during the regular course of treatment.

Hope that helps!

Toronto Orthodontist

Invisalign trays

+1

With any treatment it is best to follow the recommendations of your treating doctor since they know your teeth. It is very common for Invisalign to include extra trays in the end that might not be necessary and sometimes can actually make the teeth look worse.

Tanya Vaysman, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Doctor Lost 2 Invisalign Trays

+1

It is always best to go through the entire sequence of trays in order. My suggestion is to continue wearing the tray you have, and have the doctor reorder the 2 lost trays, and wait for them. It should only take about 2 weeks to receive.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist