Possible to Stop with the Braces to Get Invisalign?

I am 19 years old owe 975 on my metal braces and I want to stop treatment and get Invisalign because I have already had this metal on for almost two years and two months and he says its still going to be awhile till they come off thing

I don't want to be twenty with braces on. Can I stop my braces treatment and get Invisalign? I haven't talked to my orthodontist yet because I don't wanna look stupid but how much do Invisalign cost? How much did it cost you?

Making the Switch from Braces to Invisalign

+1

It is very possible to transfer from wearing braces to finish your orthodontic treatment using Invisalign. Sometimes we actually treatment plan patients to either start with Invisalign and finish with braces or just the opposite. Consult with your orthodontist to see is the switch is feasible in your particular situation.

New York Orthodontist

Possible to switch to Invisalign

+1

The customer is always right -- in this case, the patient. If you hate your metal braces then the orthodontist can remove the brackets and finish your case with Invisalign.

There will be a fee but he should give you a huge break because you already paid him for the brackets. Afer all, if you're a happy patient, you will refer more patients to him. Talk openly and honestly with him about this.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Your doctor can help you know what to do

+1

Part of being a doctor includes listening to your patients' concerns. Orthodontic treatment can be frustrating, especially when it does not go as well as you and the doctor wished it had. Although it is not quite "starting over" (but close), switching from regular braces to Invisalign can be quite expensive. Another thing to keep in mind with the doctor-patient relationship is that they are YOUR teeth and you can do what ever you want. Speak with your doctor and ask him or her to be straight up with you. For example:

• What is left to do?
  • How long do you think it will take?
  • If I stop now, what might the risks or consequences be?
  • Is there anything we can do to make it finish up quickly, even if the results are not ideal?
  • Is there an alternative to keeping the braces on for a lot longer, even if it is a compromise?

An example of a compromise might be to use an active retainer or a rubber positioner to fine tune the position of the teeth. But they need to be pretty close to make this at all predictable. Nothing works more predictably than brackets glued to the teeth. Orthodontists by nature are perfectionists. They want to do what is right and proper...and sometimes, for a number of reasons, it takes more time than we anticipated.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Switching from wires to Invisalign is expensive

+1

The fee to switch can range from $2000 to $5000, so it would be cheaper and quicker to just finish with what was started. Ask your dentist what CAN be done, but it likely is better to simply finish.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist