I have puffiness and dark circles underneath my eye. Am I a Good Candidate for Lower Blepharoplasty? (photo)

I've always hated my eyes. not the shape, which I love, but the puffiness and dark circles underneath. I'm considering(very seriously) having a lower blepharoplasty done when I have my mommy makeover. I want to accentuate my high cheekbones and show off my almond shaped eyes but the dark circles are detracting from that.

Do I need a lower eyelid surgery?

+2

Thanks so much for your question.  I think that based on what I see from your photos you may be more of a candidate for filler.  The main thing that a lower blepheroplasty is able to accomplish is to remove excess skin and also remove excess fatty tissue.  I think in your case you would have a better result if you go with filler.  Hope this helps.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate for Lower Blepharoplasty?

+2

Your photos don't show the lower eyelid and cheek regions very well, but from I can see, there seems to be lack of volume of the lower eyelids and upper cheeks that are congenital i.e. you are born with it. Basically, your cheek bones are not as forward as they should be so, they don't provide enough support to the lower eyes and therefore, it appears as though you have fat bulging or there are folds of skin of the lower eyelids. Treatment is to use fillers, fat transfer or infraorbital implants. Dark circles are due to skin pigment, shadows from bulging fat or blood vessels.  

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

In patients who have primarily pigment issues, a lower blepharoplasty will not have a great effect.  Filler to the tear trough may help a small amount.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Candidate for Lower Blepharoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question, based on your photos , I do not believe you are a candidate for a Lower Blepharoplasty. A Lower Blepharoplasty is primarily a treatment for excess skin and fat. Surgery is not a treatment for hyper-pigmented lower eyelid skin, a good concealer will help resolve this problem, as well as you may want to consider a filler.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to call our facility .

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Possible candidate for lower eyelid surgery

+1

From your photographs it is very difficult to determine the anatomy of your lower eyelids.  There does appear to be a bit of bulging of the lower lids.  If this is something that concerns you then you may want to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon.

Photos are difficult to evaluate

+1

The lighting in the photos makes this a bit difficult to assess, but you do not seem to have a significant lower eyelid fat prolapse or redundant skin.

If you have mild fat prolapse, a lower blepharoplasty with fat transposition [not removal] would be a great option for you. This would be long lasting solution.

Fillers are another option, but would need to be repeated every so often [[6-12 months...sometimes longer]

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Honestly, from the photos provided, I see some dark circle but not much evidence of lower eyelid fat bags.  You should have in person consultations for a Lower Eyelid Surgery for a thorough evaluation and recommendation.

Lower lid blepharoplasty?

+1

It is difficult to tell for sure from your photos. Based solely on your photos you  may be a better candidate for fillers?  Best to be seen in person.

Should you have a lower lid blepharoplasty?

+1

You should see a local surgeon who can evaluate your anatomy and review your concerns then come up with a plan to help achieve your goals.  It is difficult to appreciate much puffiness that you describe.  Your surgeon should have several options from which you can pick from so choose wisely.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question,

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

It is difficult to say just by looking at the pictures you provided. Depending on what your plastic surgeon recommends, you may be a good candidate for a lower blepharoplasty or even fillers such a Radiesse or Juvederm. I highly recommend you schedule a consultation to see what procedure would be best for you.

Below are some links for additional information and before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD