Procedure to Get Rid of Stomach Roll?

I've been considering surgery but not sure what type of surgery I should have. About a year and a half ago, I weighed 220 lbs and as long as I remember, I have always had a "roll" in my stomach area. I worked really hard and lost about 60 lbs in the span of 10-12 months. However, I still seem to have this "roll" in my stomach area and wish I had a flatter stomach. Any advice would be helpful in which direction I should choose.

Loose abdominal skin - laser vs. tummy tuck vs liposuction

+2

The only way to treat loose skin of the degree shown in your picture is by removing it via a tummmy tuck.

Don't be misled by lasers, radiofrequency or laser liposuction- we have them all, and they will simply be a Band-Aid for your problem.

The stretch marks you see will be vastly improved; in fact most of them will be removed in surgery.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/tummy-tuck-procedure.php

Improving the Abdominal Contour after weight loss

+1

Hi there-

The appearance of the abdominal wall will depend on the relative contributions of the 3 major components- the skin, the fatty layer, and the muscle layer...

In your photo, it looks like you have loose skin that has lost some of its elasticity, and you have some excess fat under the skin.

Despite what you may be seeing and hearing in advertisements, there is NO type of liposuction that will make your skin go away or miraculously tighten.

Find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and visit for a consultation- I think your best bet is a Tummy Tuck.

If you would like information on how to best choose a surgeon, please read this:

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#f550

How to treat bulging stomach after weight loss

+1

Given your history of weight loss, it is most likely that you will benefit from a tummy tuck because your problem is attributable more to skin than fat.

Tummy Tuck most likely needed for tummy roll

+1

You likely will need a tummy tuck. However, one must consider how long you have been at current weight, if you will be losing more weight, and what you are willing to do to get your result.

Key in the evaluation will be the quality of your skin and supporting deeper structures.

Time for a visit to the plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://mykasden.com/photos.cfm?id=28&cs=3

Abdominoplasty to get rid of a stomach roll

+1

I assessing the abdominal area for plastic surgery the surgeon looks at the relative amounts of excess skin, excess fat and muscle laxity above and below the belly button level. From your photo you have some excess skin above the belly button more so below it. The amount of excess fat is best judged by pinching the skin and seeing how far apart the thumb and index finger are. That can't really be done by looking at a photo. More than 2cm is considered excessive. You have some muscle laxity but the degree is better assessed on a side view.

The degree of skin excess is too much for the non-surgical laser, radiofrequency, thermage etc approaches. You cannot effectively shrink that much skin without causing other problems. The excess skin has too be surgicaly removed. That is your standard tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. The length of the incision would obviously be the same length as the fold you see on the photo. At the same operation excess fat can be removed by liposuction and loose muscle can be suture tightened.

Post-weight loss contouring

+1

First, determine if you are stable and your weight loss and lifestyle are sustainable. Whether abdominoplasty or liposuction is appropriate, identify your goals and what you are willing to accept as risks. If you just want a re-contouring and don't care as much about the quality of the skin and how tight it is, liposuction should be adequate. If you want as tight of a abdomen as possible and are willing to accept significant scars, a variety of abdominoplasties are available from mini-tucks,modified, and full abdominoplasties.

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

+1

Based on your pictures, it looks like you would benefit most from Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) to remove the extra skin and tighten up your underlying muscles. If you had liposuction, it would remove the extra fat, but would not address the extra skin. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.