Should Stomach Muscles Always Be Tightened During a Tummy Tuck?

I'm scheduled for a full TT with some lipo and BA. I've had 4 pregnancies but my stomach muscles have not separated, only a fingertip space between them when flexed below and above the belly button. I'm 5'3", 125#, 39 yrs, exercise and workout core regularly. I have loose, stretch marked skin and poochy stomach fat I can't get rid of. My surgeon says I won't need a repair. But should I ask for them to be tightened anyway to get the best results from the TT? Or would it not make any difference?

Have your muscles tightened.

+4

Thank you for posting your photos.  It helps a lot.  The second photo shows you leaning over with tightened muscles.  The very right photo you have relaxed muscles.  There is a big difference which tells me there is abdominal wall laxity that will be improved with muscle plication. You will get a flatter stomach that will last you longer if you have your muscles tightened.  You will not always be 39 and 20 years after my own TT I can honestly say that I don't exercise as much as I used to.  It is true that it will cause a bit more pain which is why I always use pain  pumps.  Years ago I started threading them under the fascia (the covering of the muscle) on either side of the midline my patients and I can tell you they have been far more comfortable than I was the first few days after surgery.  Unless you have another abdominoplasty you won't have another opportunity so I would not pass it up. 

+4

Abdominal muscle (Six pack / rectus abdominis) separation is NOT the only irreversible damage brought on by pregnancy. The fact that a lime sized uterus becomes the size of a large watermelong and maintains those dimensions for monthS, means that the abdominal wall (muscles and skin) had to stretch and finally split to accomodate such a large intra-abdominal mass. Even if there was not a significant splitting of the muscles you can BET that the abdominal cavity is much larger and the muscles and overlying skin are looser.

Now - multiply this by 4.

Having performed hundreds of abdominoplasties, I am still impressed by how much stretching these bodies have been put through by multiple pregnancies, how much overt and subtle stretch damage took place and how important is proper tightening of the abdominal muscles if the woman is to regain her "Before Baby" tummy, only better.

In my opinion, deciding not to perform an abdominal  muscle tightening on a woman who either had a single large baby OR several pregnancies is to rescue defeat out of the jaws of cosmetic victory. It is choosing a mediocre result over an amazing cosmetic result.

In someone as thin as you, the potential for a truly beautiful tummy is palpably real. You should NOT have to ask your surgeon to do "a muscle repair". He should understand the importance of doing it and offer it to you. As unsettling as it is for me to say it about a colleague, I would get another opinion.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Should my muscles be tightened with a tummy tuck

+3

I don't think that I have seen a woman after 4 pregnancies who would not benefit from having the muscles tightened.  It will help you get a tighter, flatter stomach.  It does hurt more for the first few days and does somewhat prolong the recovery and cause some limitations in activity for a longer period of time.  I do not let my patients perform any abdominal or core exercises for 6 weeks after having the muscles tightened.  That being said, it is entirely elective and does not need to be done.  You can just have the skin tightened which will help you greatly. 

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

There's no good reason NOT to tighten the muscles in a tummy tuck

+3

You only get one shot at a great result with a tummy tuck and after 4 pregnancies, I can virtually guarantee you that you would have a better flatter result with some appropriate muscle tightening performed.  It is quick, easy, and only adds a little temporary pain in the recovery but dramatically improves the result.

I have done several TT's this week and in one the muscles were 2-3 inches apart and in another they weren't apart at all.  However, both had equal general laxity of the abdominal wall and needed muscle tightening.  So the actual distance between the rectus muscles is not a good indicator of the need for muscle tightening, it is more a matter of how loose you can make your abdominal wall when you totally relax the muscles.

Also, are you sure you don't need to retighten the breasts with your augmentation as it looks like you had a reduction before and have some pretty loose lower pole skin.  If you already have the scars, it might be nice to tighten up the breast and imporve its shape and tone because the implants alone won't do that.  Just a thought to consider...

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

To tighten the muscles

+2

After looking at your photos I would say yes to tightening your muscles a little.It will be a little more uncomfortable post op but well worth it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

If the muscles are together, no repair necessary.

+2

The term "muscle tightening" is a misnomer when applied to a tummy tuck. What is performed is a plication, or folding, of the fascia of the abdominal wall to correct bulging that occurs when the abdominal wall is lax. This commonly occurs following pregnancy as the rapid enlargement of the womb distends the abdominal muscles and stretches out the fascia. In some women, the abdominal wall recoils back to its original shape following pregnancy. In these cases, the abdominal wall plication is unnecessary and provides little improvement to the overall contour of the abdomen. If you don't need it, why do it?

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Plication Is Sometime Not Needed with Abdominoplasty

+2

Although you would get a flatter abdomen overall with plication (tightening of the muscle wall), because your muscle wall laxity is limited and the majority of your skin laxity is low, you can elect NOT to have the plication.  This will make your surgery less painful and shorten your recovery.  

When I do perform plication, I use a pain pump which drips Marcaine onto the plication for the first 3 days.  This decreases the pain significantly.  

If you were my patient, I would give you a choice and tell you as long as you don't mind some slight roundness to the lower abdomen you could go with no plication.  It would be similar to what you have now, but just without the skin laxity.  I would also let you know that with a full abdominoplasty and plication of the muscles you would get the best result possible.  It is a trade off and you have the luxury of deciding because your changes are limited (especially considering you have had four children).

A final option for you, if you don't mind some upper abdominal skin laxity is just to remove the lower abdominal skin through a very low incision.  This is sometimes called a lower abdominoplasty or panniculectomy.  It gets rid of the lower abdominal skin without lifting the skin of the upper abdomen and would less recovery and cost.  I hope this helps you in your decision

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

If you are not planning any more pregnancies,

+2

then you should have your muscles plicated at the same time as you have your body contoured and the excess skin on your abdomen removed.  This is of course if your muscles have drifted apart enough to require plication. Some of my patients only require tightening of the lower half of the abdomen, and many require the entire abdomen to be tightened up. Your plastic surgeon should examine all of your 'layers' (muscle, fat, and skin) and give you options for each layer.  Sometimes even your skeleton will have individual characteristics which should be discussed as part of the final outcome.  Good luck and enjoy your new body.

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

+2

I'm answering your specific question of YOU having your muscles repaired while you are having your TT. Understand none of us, expert posters, have examined you in person, so your chosen surgeon has an advantage over us. If he believes you do not need a MR than either he is correct or he mis diagnosed you, I can not say. Just to be sure have the muscle repair done to avoid that issue. It might not matter in  the final evaluation of your result, but if you do not that if you have a moderate result you would always be questioning yourself with the "what if", "why didn't I" issue. 

+1

I love these easy ones: after 4 pregnancies you ABSOLUTELY need to have a muscle repair.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon