Stomach Bulge or Flat Tummy - Realistic Results?

If I have a tt with my body the way it is today do you think I would end up with a bulge or a fairly flat tummy? I want to be realistic with my results but im not sure what to expect. If you have anyone elses results that would be similar to mine that would be great to share.

Realistic Tummy Tuck

+2

Ideal candidates for a tummy tuck are those who have lost all of their weight prior to surgery.  Fatty tissue is deposited in both the skin and inside the abdomen.  You can reduce this with diet and exercise, but the intra-abdominal fat is not removed with any cosmetic surgery.  I recommend to patients that they lose all the weight they can, but not something that isn't realistic.  The key is to have the surgical "tailoring" done at a weight you can maintain - if you go on to gain the weight back it will defeat the purpose of your surgery.  However, if you can't lose the weight before surgery, you need to be realistic about your results. At the present time, you will be improved, but not a "flat tummy" as you still are overweight.  I would recommend losing additional weight if you can prior to surgery, or accept a result that improves your physique, but not fully corrects your concerns.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Getting REAL - Expectations of Tummy Tuck in a Heavier Patient

+1

Regarding: "Stomach Bulge or Flat Tummy - Realistic Results?
If I have a tt with my body the way it is today do you think I would end up with a bulge or a fairly flat tummy? I want to be realistic with my results but im not sure what to expect. If you have anyone elses results that would be similar to mine that would be great to share
."

FLAT TUMMY.

But - that is NOT the entire answer your question deserves.

We are not 2 dimensional creatures which are viewed as either flat or bulging. As three dimensional (some would argue we have other dimensions but this is not the forum for that..) creatures, Plastic surgeons, like sculptors, need to visualize the final result that could be extracted and brought out from each individual by using s certain set of surgical procedures.

In your case, a well done extended Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty) with a good muscle repair WOULD remove the overhang AND flatten the tummy as well as narrow the waist and lift a sagging Mons pubis. Adding liposuction of the back and hips would turbo-charge the results by nicely defining and accentuating your buttocks (which now APPEAR flat) as well as reducing and sculpting your hips.

The overall result with BOTH procedures would be a GREAT improvement over what you are struggling with now.

But - the news gets better. If you could lose your extra weight and bring your BMI to under 30, your cosmetic results from these 2 operations may get you your dream body. If you THINK you can loose this weight in a healthy fashion - then go for it. You will be glad you did. If you tried and are giving up, find a good Plastic surgeon and get the procedures. You probably will still come out much better than you are now.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Panniculetomy or tummy tuck is a start

+1

Although the photo only shows a profile view, it does appear that you have a large overhanging pannus. Removal of the pannus (panniculectomy) will help to remove the redundant skin. However, you also appear to have a fair amount of fat in the central upper abdomen. In this situation it is advisable to either lose a bit more weight prior to a full tummy tuck, or plan for a second stage for liposuction of the central abdomen.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty would yield flatter abdomen

+1

Based on the appearance of your photo, you have skin redundancy which responds well to abdominoplasty.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Can I get a good result with this belly?

+1

It is nice that you have included a picture. I think you will be happy with your results after a proper procedure that will deal with you abdominal laxity,excess fat and skin laxity. What you need is called a lipoabdominoplast. This is a combination of liposuction suction and abdominoplasty (see my pictures) the excess fat is remove from your abdomen and hips, the skin is mobilized only in the middle of your belly, the muscle layers are tightened and all excess skin is removed. The results can be amazing. You need to find the right surgeon to do this.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck results vary from patient to patient

+1

It's great that you are trying to be realistic about your results.  It's difficult to determine how much different you will look after a tt without actually examining you, but a tt will most likely help you a lot based upon your photo.  Check out the before and after photos of the plastic surgeons that you're visiting to get an idea of what they can offer you.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Persistent bulge is likely after a tummy tuck but hanging skin will be eliminated

+1

In general to overall skin redundancy will be reduced but the bulge of your belly is only partially caused by the loose skin. Muscle repair will also reduce the fullness but you will likely still have a generalized bulge due to visceral fat (fat around your internal organs) which is not treated by a tummy tuck.

Stomach Bulge or Flat Tummy - Realistic Results

+1

Thanks for the photo. and yes you need to be realistic. the improvement will be nice but I doubt totally flat. It appears as you have a fairly large diastasis recti that may need mesh repair. 

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

I am glad that you are wanting to be realistic.  Basically, you have a considerable amount of fat and excess skin.  An abdominoplasty or tummy tuck or panniculectomy will remove the excess skin and fat, so you should have no overhand.  Your tummy will be much flatter.  However, you have to know that you are not going to look like a supermodel when the procedure is over, but you will look like a nicely improved version of yourself.  Good luck with your surgery, I think you should be very happy with the results.  

David Shafer, MD