Tummy Tuck for Swollen Stomach

In past 3 years my stomach has swelled up larger than when I was 9 months pregnant,and weight gain. Had sonogram of abdomen and nothing seen, had endoscope only gastritis seen. I exercise and stomach seems to just keep getting larger started under breast swells out and overhangs at bottom. I never even had this happen after having 3 c-sections. Does it seem safe to have tummy tuck in case something is going wrong internally? I would fear I get cut open, and there may be something else going on.

Thorough Evaluation Must Preceed Tummy Tuck

+2

I am sorry to hear of your situation.

You must have a thorough evaluation and medical clearance, before any consideration of tummy tuck.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for swollen abdomen

+1

It is concerning to me that you mention the word swollen. I would consider getting a work-up to see why you are swollen. If you mean the muscles bulge than that is different.

Tummy tuck only after full medical evaluation for abdominal swelling

+1

I would recommend a Tummy tuck only after full medical evaluation for abdominal swelling has been completed. At this point, it appears that you have undergone a reasonable approach to this problem. Now, it may be a good idea to get a few consultations with plastic surgeons to evaluate their recommendations and advice.

Tummy tuck for "swollen stomach"

+1

If your "swollen stomach" is caused by excess EXTERNAL fat (not internal fat around the intestines), loose muscles, and loose skin, then a tummy tuck is a reasonable consideration.  If you have any medical condition causing your stomach swelling, meaning the problem is internal and not external, then a tummy tuck is absolutely not the answer for you.  You will need a thorough medical evaluation and clearance and, of course, a consultation with a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Tummy Tuck for Swollen Stomach

+1

Asking over the internet to us experts is nice but in your case I recommend seeing in person a boarded plastic surgeon in your area. Very hard to give definitive answer. Regards. 

Preoperative evaluation

+1

Your concerns are valid and you have taken the appropriate steps by seeking evaluation by a gastroenterologist. If the evaluation is complete and there are no significant abdominal problems other than distention a surgical procedure will improve the appearance of the abdomen.

The abdominal muscle will be tightened and restored to the midline in a more anatomical position. The excess skin and fat will also be removed. The muscle is the foundation and the skin the covering both need to be addressed to achieve the best contour.

The abdominal cavity is not entered during an abdominoplasty and so no internal problems would be discovered by the procedure. This is precisely why it needs to be evaluated prior to the surgery.

I hope this was helpful and good luck. 

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon