Ingrown Hair/Broken Skin 1 Week Before Breast Augmentation, What Will Heal It FAST?

So I have this issue with a few darker hairs around my aruola and a few on my breasts. I noticed little black dots on my breast, where these stubborn hair normally comes out, so I squeezed & proceeded with the tip of a needle, to get the dot/hair out. The result is that I'm now sitting with badly broken, red, inflamed, uneven skin and I can still see the black dot/hair under all this very sore skin! So far I have washed the area with Descutan and I have applied Fucidin ointment.

Broken Skin 1 Week Before Breast Augmentation

+2

Be certain that your surgeon is aware. Anything that adds risk of infection to this elective procedure can have serious consequences, and it may be that the surgeon will want to look at this and decide whether to postpone your surgery. Open skin harbors the kinds of bacteria that can cause implant infection, which can lead to a cascade of redo operations. The inconvenience of that dwarfs the inconvenience of rescheduling surgery when the added risk is gone.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Ingrown hair and inflammation before Breast Augmentation

+1

You are right to be concerned. Let you plastic surgeon know what is going on today, so that they can take care of you. An open, inflamed wound, on which you are using antibiotics increases your risk of infection of the skin and potentially of your new breast implants. It may be something that will clear quickly, but it is hard to tell from here.

Your plastic surgeon should be informed, and may want to reevaluate when it is safe to proceed with your surgery. It may be necessary to delay your surgery; however, rescheduling in a week or two is much more convenient, and safer, than having Breast Augmentation and risking life threatening complications that may require a second surgery to remove your infected breast implant(s) and then waiting another 6 months or longer for a third surgery to have the implant(s) replaced with potentially a worse result.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon