Best Breast Reconstruction for Young Mastectomy Patient?

I've had a bilateral mastectomy and for reconstruction by plastic surgeon has suggested gummy bears. I am fine with that but I am wondering if there would be any movement of my breast if I get gummies. Since they are shaped I kno they have to have good placement to prevent them from rotating. I am 26 And think it would be weird to have breast that barely move this would be very much like the tissue expanders I have. To get movement should I just get the regular silicone implants?

Round versus shaped gel implants

+3

I have been very pleased with the results of the anatomic shaped textured cohesive gel implants.   Yes, they may be a bit firmer than a round smooth gel implant, but they also deliver superior shape and fill to the breast mound in comparison to a round smooth gel in a mastectomy defect.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Form-stable implants for breast reconstruction

+2

Form-stable implants such as Style 410 from Allergan work very well for reconstruction but there are firmer. The problem with round implants in reconstruction is that they tend to not hold projection as well. On the other hand, they usually work quite well for augmentation because the breast tissue contributes to shape and projection, while the softer feel of the implants makes them move more naturally. It is interesting to hear that you did not have immediate reconstruction.

Richard Baxter, MD

Best reconstruction for a young patient is .....

+2

I have several patients referred for breast reconstruction who are in their early 30's and 40's.  They have several concerns regarding reconstruction with both implants an flaps.  Despite the ability to create a natural appearing breast reconstruction the device don't feel natural and don't have the ability to move like a natural breast would.  Total breast reconstruction using fat graft or with a DIEP flap with feel more natural.  I listen to my patients and try to fit their desires for reconstruction with their body and lifestyle.  

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Anatomic implants can be tricky.

+1

It is up if you want anatomic implants. They do require specific pockets to keep them in place. I do not see any advantage to those implants versus smooth round silicone implants.  Smooth round silicone implants have the advantage that they can rotate change shape and the shape of the breast will not change. Please reconsider using smooth round silicone gel implants.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast reconstruction

+1

Form stable implants do not move, tissue ingrowth prevents it from doing so. You want a bouncy breasts then consider flap surgery for breast reconstruction.