Stitches came out between top and bottom pieces of labia after wedge method reduction - now they are separated? (photo)

I had a labia reduction done on one side two weeks ago. In the last week, two stitches accidentally came out. Two days ago, I went and had a replacement stitch put in to join three of the pieces back together vertically, but it came out again. I'm terrified! My labia is in separate parts. I don't see how it will ever heal together properly. Should I ask to be stitched up again (I have a follow up in 10 days) or is there no hope at this point that those pieces will fuse together? Please help me!

Wound separation

+1

Such problems can be managed... but after you have healed and can have the wound freshened up again.  Attempting to do so now could work in rare instances but are more likely to fail.  Certainly doesn't hurt to attempt re-suturing but since yours failed, wait until you are healed and then go back and repair it.  It should be a simple procedure done in the office under local.

Stitches came out between top and bottom pieces of labia after wedge method reduction - now they are separated?

+1

Usually the stitches will not hold in the acute inflammatory phase if a separation has occurred.  Waiting a few months usually allows for a better chance of successful repair.

Labiaplasty wound seperation

+1

Indeed there is hope, but it will probably require your surgeon to do a small revision surgery to freshen up the non-healing edges and re-suture them back together.  And yes of course you should bring it to his attention.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty Healing

+1

Based on the pictures and the descriptions, it does appear that you would need a revision of the suture line to ensure proper healing. You should not feel afraid to talk to your surgeon about the revision. While it is rare to need revision surgery, your surgeon should be open and accepting to talking to you and you should not feel hesitation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Labiaplasty and stitches

+1

You may need a revision of your suture line. Best to talk to your surgeon so this can be repaired.

Separation after wedge labia reduction

+1

As the inventor of the wedge technique for labia minora reductions, I obviously have extensive experience with this technique. I have not had a separation like yours for many years and after performing many hundreds of labiaplasties. I can tell you that re-suturing it now will almost certainly not solve the problem and will fail again. You need to wait up to 4-5 months for the swelling to go away and for the tissues to heal. The labia can then be repaired with a very high chance of success if it is done by a very experienced surgeon using the specific techniques. Otherwise, it will almost certainly fall apart again. You can certainly be helped but you need to be patient.

Gary J. Alter, MD