Stitches on Scalp?

Recently I had some stitches on my forehead (vertical) which were also extending about 1.5 inch on my scalp. Now its been a month and it has healed much but I notice that the area where stitches were placed on my scalp is not having hair. Will my hair grow back or it won't. What should I do about it.

Stitches on Scalp?

+2

Whether the hair will grow depends upon what was done during the procedure. Quite often, hair loss around an incision is temporary due to "shock" to the hair follicles. However, if the follicles were injured during the procedure, sometimes the hair will not grow back. Most often the hair will grow back within several months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair not growing where stitches placed on scalp

+2

It is not unusual to have some hair loss when an incision is made on the scalp.  It is possible that some of the hair follicles were destroyed during your procedure, but in most cases, the hair should grow back.  It can take 3-4 months from the time of the wound to when the hair would begin growing back, so I would just give it a little more time since it's only been about a month since your stitches were placed.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scalp scars with absence of hair

+1

You may develop traumatic alopecia and this should be treated in the early phase of wound healing with topicals.  Hair transplants may also be needed.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hair loss and stitches

+1

Sometimes the area of normal hair growth is traumatized from the injury or the follicles go into shock. In addition the scar can spread.  Time will tell.