Stitches right below my left eye, removed 3 weeks back. How to prevent exposure to UV, will sunglasses do? Or sunscreen? (photo)

I had maxillofacial surgery fix fractures I sustained in a small accident. I got stitches just below my left eye and inside my mouth. The stitches were removed but the doctor did not suggest anything to reduce the scar. He just asked me to avoid exposure to sunlight for 4 months. Also, How to best clean the area? At present I dont do anything, letting it wash itself when I am say taking a shower. Is it safe to apply soap? Even the dead skin formed around it initially is still not removed.

Stitches right below my left eye, removed 3 weeks back. How to prevent exposure to UV, will sunglasses do? Or sunscreen?

+2

I typically advise people that it is OK to use cleanser on the suture line soon after surgery. With regard to sun protection, sunglasses with UV protection are always a good idea. I'd also recommend sunblock a product containing a physical sun barrier like titanium or zinc. These are widely available today and far more effective than sunscreen. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of incision under eye after suture removal

+2

At three weeks after your sutures were removed under your eye, it would be safe to use soap in the area. In regards to sun protection, I would definitely recommend sunscreen and use sunglasses as well when you can.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon