Will Stitches Make my Ear Normal Again After I Take Them Out? (photo)

i got shot in the ear with a bb gun and the bb has been stuck in my ear for some time now. Its right where my ear should fold and so my ear sticks out a lot. I would like to know when i get it taken out will the stitches make my ear fold back

Removal of Ear Foreign Body

+2

It is likely thatthe ear deformity you see is related to the implantation of the foreign body. Removing is likely to correct the ear deformity. This is a simple procedure done in the offic under local anesthesia.

Ear shape after removing bb

+2

Thank you for your question. The bb is sitting in a part of the ear called the anti helix. The actual bb and the swelling associated with is causing the ear to protrude. Removing it most likely will result in return of shape to normal.

The procedure is dine under local anesthesia in the office. The scarring is minimal and since it is behind the ear,it  will not be visible.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

External ear injury

+2

Once the foreign body is taken out, your ear should eventually go back to its previous position. You may have swelling too which can exaggerate the position of the external ear.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will removing a BB from behind the ear return its shape back to normal

+1

I would agree with the anatomical comments relayed by my colleagues. Removing that BB is indeed a straightforward office procedure under local anesthesia. It is possible that removing the BB will improve the shape of your ear. If it doesn't there are surgical options to improve the shape of your ear but these are obviously more involved than simply removing the BB that is there now.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon