Stitches in Nose 4 Months After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 4 months ago in Turkey with permanent stiches. The surgeon said the stitches need to sit as long as possible(months or years). Recently I had a slight bump or infection at where the stitch comes out, so I rang the surgeon he said apply gentamicin cream for 48hrs. But since I live in sweden,I visited a local health center and the Dr said it's just a reaction to the stitch which needs to be removed. I removed the stitch but now I'm worried. Was it ok to have it removed??

Removed stitches four months post-rhinoplasty

+2

I wouldn't worry too much about removing the stitch. After 4 months, the stitch is not holding anything vital in place. The scar and healing at this time is maintaining  the form of the nose, not the stitches.

Dr. A

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Permanent stitches after a rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for your question. Some people do react to the permanent stitches that are used after a rhinoplasty. In some cases, smal granulomas or stitch abcesses can develop, and the stitches need to be removed. At 4 months after surgery, your nose should have healed well enough to have the stitches removed. At this point, there should be sufficient scar tissue and healing to support the nose.

I would suspect that the inflammation should resolve now that that the stitch is gone and that your nose should be fine.

Best of luck with your nose.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Stitches Coming Out After Rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, it is hard to answer this question without knowledge of what was done during your rhinoplasty surgery. Assuming your surgeon used nonabsorbable sutures to permanently reshape the nose, I would be a little concerned if one of these sutures came out. That being said, there are instances where the cartilage has healed sufficiently such that it does not matter significantly if the suture came out. To a great degree, time will tell in your case. Hopefully, your nose falls into the latter situation. Wishing the best of luck in your recovery.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon