Stitch Scar Removal After Thyroid Operation

How can I remove the stitch marks caused after a thyroid operation?

Scars resulting from stitches can be improved with currently available scar treatments

Scars due to stitches respond to treatments like intralesional steroids, intralesional Bleomycin, Laser and Radiofrequency resurfacing. If the surgery was not too long ago, you could start using creams like Contractubex or Cicatrix to help improve the scar.

India Dermatologist

5C, Haddows Lane
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600034

Surgical scar revision for neck scars and thyroid scars

Removing stitch marks from a scar is usually difficult without surgical scar revision. In some cases, fractional CO2 laser may work in some rare cases. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Yes. The scar can be revised

The answer to your question is that a variety of scar camouflage techniques are available. However, it is important to note that scars will improve naturally over the course of a year. Unless there are serious aesthetic issues with a scar that are unlikely to resolve, I encourage patients to wait for this time frame. If the scar is still objectionable at 1 year (wide or hypertrophic), I would recommend surgical scar removal and revision. If the scar is raised or firm, a trial of steroid (kenalog) injections might be more appropriate.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919