Stitch Left Behind After Cast Removal, What Should I Do If I Can't See my Doctor?

I had rhinoplasty and the cast was removed several days ago and all the stitches were pulled...supposedly. Today I realized that there's still a stitch left on my left nostril's base just inside where the hair would be. It's black and had a knot around it. I need to get it out but not sure what to do since my doctor's out of town across the country and he's also currently on vacation. What should I do because going back to him now is nor an option. I won't be able to see him again until April

Stitch not Removed During Rhinoplasty Post-op Visit

+1

It is possible a stitch was not removed during your post-op visit. Just call your surgeon's office for a referral to the physician covering the practice while he is gone. If you are not in the same town, ask for a recommendation to another surgeon in your community.

Rhinoplasty stitch

+1

It is sometimes difficult to see all the stitches just after surgery becuase often there is a lot of crusting at the sutture line.  Every once in a while a stitch is missed and the next visit it is removed.  If your doctor is not available, he should have someone covering him and you can ask them to remove it.

Removing stitch left behind after rhinoplasty

+1

Your surgeon's office should be able to tell you who is covering for your surgeon. If you're not in the area they should be able to give you a referral to a local colleague who can help out.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Stitch Removal After Rhinoplasty

+1

Your surgeon's office should be able to refer you to another surgeon who is covering for your surgeon to remove the suture.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Stitch Removal

+1

If your plastic surgeon is out of town, then you should be able to see who is covering for him/her.  They should be able to evaluate the area and remove the stitch if they think it is appropriate. 

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty and Remaining Stitch?

+1

Although inconvenient, you will need to see who is “covering” for your plastic surgeon and have him/her evaluate the area and  probably remove the stitch.