Stitch Abscess After Breast Augmentation?

I had Breast augmentation and Mastopexy in 2/2009. I had 1 follow-up visit with surgeon who performed surgery. I had to move for my job, so found another surgeon who removed my stitches. She stated she had received my records from my surgeon.

All was well until 5/25/2009. On my left breast, outer edge of the areola on the incision line, I have had a 1 inch redness with a pustule in the middle. Could this be a stitch abscess?

Suture knot problem

+1

It is most likely that you have a suture knot that has become infected and worked its way to the surface.  The suture needs to be removed.  Once removed the area will heal normally.

Stitch abscess

+1

It is important to get proper postoperative care to ensure the optimal result.  I would suggest that you contact the implanting surgeon, and review the case probably with the assistance of the surgeon who did the follow up.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

REaction of suture line after surgery

+1

IT sounds as if you do indeed have an suture infection. YOu may want to review yorur records to determine if these were resorbable or permanent sutures.

Stitch abscess

+1

You very well may have a stitch abscess but without an exam it is difficult to say. I suggest you see your surgeon.

May be a stitch abscess after Breast Augmentation

+1

This might be a stitch abscess as it occurred so far out. Have your new surgeon take a look at it. From your image it doesn't look bad, but without examining you I cannot tell for sure.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Stitch abcess after breast implants looked at to be safe

+1

HI,

Thank you for your question!

After reading your description and reviewing the picture you posted, I would agree that it is most likely a stitch coming through. Some surgeons use dissovable stitches that can take a few months to fully dissolve. Sometimes your body can have a reaction to this which is why the abscess occurs. To avoid any further complications and just be sure it is from the stitch, I would schedule a check-up with you plastic surgeon to be safe.

Sam Speron, MD

Yes

+1

Most of us use long lasting stitches around the areola when we do mastopexy. Depending on what kind of lift it is I might even use a permanent stitch. Unfortunately, most of these stitches are very slippery and we have to put several knots in them to keep them from unraveling. It is this knot that can "spit" several months down the road. Usually at 3 month out the stitch can be removed and a dose or two will resolve the problem.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

That is a stitch abscess most likely

+1

What you are describing is the occasional process of a stitch "spitting" out as a stitch abscess.  These resolve spontaneously with local care including warm compresses and removal of the stitch thread if it is present.  Check with your doctor though to be sure.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

This is most likely a stitch abscess

+1

I think you''re probably made the proper diagnosis. Many surgeons use Vicryl suture or other absorbable sutures around the areola. These sutures may take 6 months or more to fully dissolve and often times patients will react to them before this. You should follow up with your plastic surgeon. Usually the small piece of suture can be removed in the office with minimal pain. You may also need a very short course of antibiotics.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Stitch absess

+1

Have you thought about going back to the surgeon who removed your sutures? Everyone needs follow up after surgery--give your new doc a call and have them treat you. Stitch absesses when treated early are fairly benign, but if left alone to fester can cause you problems.

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS