Why am I still very swollen a year after my rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty done exactly a year ago. I had a bump removed and my tip was pushed up a little bit. Most of the swelling has gone down but I still wake up with a very swollen nose. I have been taping my nose diligently for a year now and would like to stop. I haven't been in a relationship because I feel like I haven't fully recovered just yet. I don't want to tape my Nose anymore and I'm scared to wake up next to a guy with a big swollen nose. How much longer until the swelling completely goes away?

+1

I would return to your surgeon for an assessment.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1
Dear Ice Baby, You can stop taping your nose. I personally do not have my patients use tape after rhinoplasty. While there are different views on this in the Plastic Surgery world I do not think it is necessary. You may want to change your sleeping position if you can sleep on your back and a bit elevated this may help with minor swelling present in the morning. You may also want to limit your salt intake as this may cause some slight water retention leading to swelling or puffiness. I would see your surgeon for a full evaluation he/she will tell you where you are in the recovery phase. At one year post rhinoplasty your swelling should be mostly dissipated.  Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD