Could I Still Be Swollen 5 Months After Mini Tummy Tuck with Lipo?

Hi, I had laser lipo in tummy & love handles in May 2012, didn't help. Went back to same doc in SA in Sept 2012 and did a 2nd laser lipo to tummy (love handles had reduced from 1st surgery), was not happy. Went back Dec 2012 & got a mini tummy tuck from a plastic surgeon. Still don't have a flat tummy! There is a small difference in my appearance but not what I expected from the surgery. Could it be that I am still internally swollen from all the trauma of all 3 surgeries performed so closely?

+1

Kamillah--without photos it is hard to comment on the choice of procedures and the outcomes. By five months if there were an improvement you should see some. 

Were you to post some photos from before surgery and now, it would make it possible to try to offer suggestions. All the best

Unhappy after Several Abdominal Operations?

+1

I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction after multiple abdominal operations. Given your goals to achieve a “flat tummy",  it may be that you have undergone the wrong operations.  Without knowing more about your history and/or viewing pictures, it is not possible to provide you with precise evaluation and/or advice.

Generally speaking, inmy opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

At this point, given your surgical history, I would suggest that you wait  approximately one year after the last procedure was performed before making any further decisions.