Can I Really Still Be Swollen All Day Every Day 4 1/2 Months After a Tummy Tuck or is This the Result? (photo)

I had my TT in March and I only had a small period where I was alittle flat. I know some people say that they are sometimes flat in the morning and then swell as they do activity and as the day goes on but I am fat all day! I am scheduled to meet with my PS and another next month to evaluate for a possible revision (scar/dog ears/rem fat). Looking at my PO photo, you can see that I was not tight immediately after surgery so I want to know if my current state is swelling or the final result?

Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you after direct examination. At this point, much of the swelling has resolved. Assuming your muscle repair is intact ( I do not see any evidence that it is not in your photographs),  that I would suggest allowing for additional time before deciding upon the need for further surgery. You will find that the skin of the abdominal wall will continue to “redrape" ( bounce back) over the course of the next many months  (and even up to one year).  This along with continued efforts with diet and exercise will allow you to see the final (best) results of surgery approximately one year after the procedure was performed.

Hello

+1

Without seeing you’re before pictures it’s hard to give an accurate evaluation. You should follow up with your PS. I believe with Vaser liposuction you could get rid of more fat left behind. The incision looks good you have healed nicely. Consider other options before jumping into a Tummy tuck revision.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

4 Months After Tummy Tuck

+1

I don't think there is much swelling left. You might get more improvement with just a little liposuction. Talk to your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Swelling

+1

There really should be little swelling at this point. I think excessive weight/fat may be a valid concern. You should see your PS

Michael Hueneke, MD

4 1/2 Months After a Tummy Tuck is This the Result?

+1

Thanks for the question and the photos. What would be helpful in addition would be some pre-op photos, and a current height and weight. 

On thing a tummy tuck will not do is change the size of the abdomen, save for the improvement you get by correcting the laxity from a hernia or diastasis (separation of the muscles). 

I doubt that you still have swelling of significance at 4.5 months, so other possibilites are to be considered--fluid collection (hematoma or seroma), incomplete removal of excess skin and fat, incomplete tightening of the abdominal wall, or excess intraabdominal contents. These problems all can be solved, although the last one by weight loss. 

Seeing your surgeon for evaluation is your best option. Thanks for the question.l