Should I Still Be Swollen After my "Facetime Facelift?

Five weeks ago I had what my Doctor calls a "facetime facelift. Now I feel like I am either sagging somewhat under my chin, or I am still swollen. There is some lumpiness under my chin and on my neck. I went to the doctor yesterday, and they used some ultra sound on my neck. I am concerned that the skin will become stretched and I will still have a sagging neckline. I wore my neck strap for 11 days after surgery. Is there any chance that this area will pull up more as time goes by?

Swelling in Neck after Liposuction and Facelift

+1

Lumps and bumps after liposuction can persist for weeks and months.  Massage of this area can be helpful.  Often it can take months for the scar to soften.   It is always important to recognize a fluid collection, because this can create a contour irregularity.

+1

I vaguely remember seeing alot of press when a plastic surgeon describe the facetime facelift but the surgery itself was no different than a typical minilift or facelift just aimed at making people look better when communicating via facetime on an ipad/ iphone. Contour deformities can result in the neck depending upon what was done during surgery. These tend to resolve over time. The ultrasound was performed to rule out any fluid in your neck and if nothing was done at your appointment you likely did not have a fluid collection. Your surgeon is best positioned to advise you on when the lumps or swelling will resolve. However, at 5 weeks you still have alot of healing time remaining. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after facial surgery, possibly a face lift

+1

There seems to be a profusion of confusing names that are applied to facial rejuvenation surgery.  This makes it difficult to offer helpful advice.  With a properly done face lift, the surgeon will assess the different facial structures at the skin and deeper levels and adjust their tone in a natural way.  Various skin tightening gadgets and liposuction face lift techniques tend to produce limited results.  In your case it may just be that your are still in the settling phase, which occurs after even the most expertly performed face lift.  Time will tell.

John Q. Cook, MD

Questions regarding Facetime Facelift healing?

+1

Because I do not know what this procedure represents, you will have to ask your surgeon if your recovery is progressing as expected. Sorry!

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is a Face Time Facelift?

+1

My understanding of the "Face Time" Facelift is that it can be whatever minimally invasive procedure needed to improve the lower part of the face and neck as visuallized on an iphone or Skype-type device. By minimally invasive I assume this to be mainly liposuction of the neck and possibly the jawline. The usual problem arises when one tries to use just liposuction to contour a neck when skin tightening is also necessary. Prolonged lumpiness, contour problems and swelling are the result. These problems can and typically do last for months even with massage, injections and ultrasound.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon