Still Swelling After Revision Rhinoplasty 14 Months Ago? (photo)

I had a closed rhinoplasty May 2011 to straighten my nose & make the tip less bulbous. 9 months post-op I had a bossa on the L side of my tip. March 2012 (14 months ago) I had an open revision rhinoplasty to correct the bossa and a small bump on the L side of the bridge. Currently, the bossa is gone, but the L side tip is more bulbous than the R. Could it still just be swelling or could he just not get them symmetrical? My doctor has told me that I have thick skin, but does not elaborate.

Swelling After Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

After a rhinoplasty procedure, it's important to remember that swelling may last up to 2 years after the surgery has been performed. Until you have fully healed and the swelling has gone down, you won't be able to see the final results. Continue to be patient and visit your surgeon to make sure you are healing correctly. You could also seek a second opinion from an expert rhinoplasty surgeon.

Swelling 14 Months after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty in patient  with thick skin can continue to resolve for 12-18 months. I would be patient for another 6 months.

Swelling Takes Longer to Resolve with Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question and your pictures. Revision rhinoplasty is among the most complicated procedures in all of plastic surgery. For primary rhinoplasty, the swelling and settling phase is up to a year. In revision cases, this can be 18 months or even 2 years, depending on exactly what is done. With thicker skin, the swelling may persist a bit longer than average and may require gentle injections of steroid. It is important to stay in close contact with your surgeon throughout this process. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon