Still Swelling After 25 Months?

Hi, I am a 52 year old caucasion woman and I had nose surgery 25months ago, I had surgery to take off the bump from the bridge of my nose and it was an open Rhinoplasty. I have heard that it can take more than two years to get the finished product. Is that true? My nose does not look defined on the tip at all and I HAD a small, defined nose before it was broken and before the surgery but now it looks big on the tip especially when I smile. Is this natural?

Rhinoplasty results take 6 to 12 months for the swelling to go down.

Rhinoplasty results take 6 to 12 months for the swelling to go down. Therefore, you are healed now. If you are unhappy with the result see your surgeon or get a second opinion from a revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

Swelling at 25 months post surgery is not very common. Most surgical swelling is dissipated in the first year and with some cases taking a bit longer depending on the skin type and circumstances. Your photograph is not at a good angle to further discuss your other concerns. If you would like to post some other photographs either to realself or to my website or email listed below I will be happy to provide further expert opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Swelling at 2 years after rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is potentially generated from being not completely satisfied with the results. 

At 2 years, edema should not exist even in patients with think skin.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

My best recommendations at the moment is to consider a revision rhinoplasty if you know that are definitely nt accepting of how your nose looks like.

The finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Tip after surgery

No further swelling should be a factor for your.  It is very difficult to tell what is going on from just an oblique photo.  if you could provide an AP and lateral and basal view, it would help. 

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

Most patients, depending on skin thickness, complexity, and whether they're having primary or revision surgery, may take up to 24 months or longer to get the final results. I generally use 24 months as the time to really reassess and see if we can improve the outcome with further surgery. Please speak to your rhinoplasty expert or seek a second opinion about your swelling after rhinoplasty.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

2 years after Rhinoplasty Swelling Should Have Resolved

2 years after rhinoplasty the swelling should have resolved.  If the tip is drooping or widening with smile, nasal depressor septi muscle release can be performed.  You probably need the tip elevated as well.

Still Swelling After 25 Months?

The picture is not good enough, some time the patient has more swelling, some time has difficult to assumes the operations, please, consult your surgeon. 

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Typically swelling can last twelve months and perhaps up to 18 months. That being said if you are not satisfied with your appearance, I would address those concerns with your treating physician.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative appearance 25 months after rhinoplasty

At this point, 2 years after surgery, there should not be any significant postoperative swelling. Any persistent issues and concerns with the shape of your nose should be addressed with your plastic surgeon.

Thanks for your question and photo. Best wishes!

Gregory Park, MD

Swellling at 25 months afte rhinoplasty?

Noses are not usually swollen after 25 months after surgery. Can't really comment on the specifics sicne the photos is not the best. Bestt ot be seen in person to review your issues.