Should I Still Have Stiches in my Nose 3 Weeks Post Op? My Doctor Didn't Say Anything About This.

I had rhinoplasty about 3 weeks ago. A week after surgery I saw my doctor and I thought he removed everything - cast, tubing, and the 3 sutures on the outside. Later that week when I was working on removing the last of the dried blood I noticed that I still have stitches inside my nose. They are right inside the nose on the top of the tip. The "thread" used looks like fishing line to me. Should these still be there? I can't find anything else online about this.

Stitches in Nose 3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

Stitches which dissolve are used in almost every rhinoplasty procedure. They are usually gone by 3 weeks, but don't be concerned they will not last. There is nothing for you to do.

Sutures Inside The Nose After Open Rhinoplasty

There are actually more sutures placed on the inside of the nose after an open rhinoplasty than on the outside. This is perfectly normal and they are all dissolveable. While they will all go away on their own, it is common to find the tails of the knots of them when cleaning the crusts from the inside of the nose. Any loose ends that you see can be clipped so they are not sticking out of the nose. Otherwise let your doctor remove any that are bothersome on the inside of your nose.

Internal nasal sutures after rhinoplasty

Most surgeons use dissolvable sutures after rhinoplasty especially the ones located inside your nose. Some dissolve out faster than others depending upon the preference of your surgeon. Keep ointment on them so that they will dissolve like vaseline, for example. That being said I would first contact your surgeon's office to discuss your concerns with him to make sure everything is as expected.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Persistent Stitches inside Nose after Rhinoplasty

The incisions inside the nose are usually stitched with interrupted dissolving stitches which fall out by themselves. You may want to have your surgeon examine your nose to follow on your progress. 

Sutures still in nose 3 weeks after rhinoplasty

There are often dissolveable sutures placed inside the nose after rhinoplasty and septoplasty. These can take several weeks to resorb.

To make sure that's what you're noticing you should check with your surgeon.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Sutures inside nose after rhinoplasty

The internal sutures should dissolve slowly over time - but please contact your surgeon to ask this question and make sure. 

Stitches in nose after rhinoplasty

Dont worry this is quite normal.  Most surgeons use dissolvable sutures which can last up to 3 weeks.  You should be keeping your nose moist and clean.  Hydrogen peroxide on a qtip can often help clean crusts and old blood.  Some surgeons occasonally use a single permanent suture which would typically colored to help secore the collumella to the septum. This suture if permanent is typically removed by your surgeon.  It should not cause you trouble. 

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon