Can I Still Get Smoothbeam Laser if I'm Darker Skin Toned? (Mexican) Or Something Similar for Oily? (photo)

I have very oily skin and was interested in smooth beam since I have heard it's good at reducing oil production. But have heard it can give you hyperpigmentation if your of darker complexion. Is this true? If so what other treatment can I turn to for the same results?

Smoothbeam Treatment for Olive Skin

+1

Hyperpigmentation is a possible side effect for many lasers including Smoothbeam however; in my office I still treat darker skin types. First I have the patient use a type of bleaching cream, the cream is meant to suppress the melanin production in darker skin types. If you first treat the skin with a “bleaching cream” then when you are treated with a laser you are less likely to react with hyperpigmentation. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if you are a good candidate for Smoothbeam.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Smoothbeam for Darker Skin Tone Patients

+1

Hi there, Unfortunately at our office, we do not recommend Smoothbeam laser for darker skin patients due to the risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I would recommend to see your local dermatologist so they can get a better idea of your skin to help you further.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist