Can I Still Do Smart Lipo on my Stomach if I Have an Umbilical Hernia? (photo)

I was told that at my last pregnacy that I had a hernia right above my belly button. My doctor said it was no big deal. It is not visible to me at this time but is sore sometimes if I push on it. I go in for consultation for smart lipo next week. What might be some options for me. Are there other areas of the stomach I can get done without it jepordizing the hernia? If the plastic surgery dr can fix it at the same time of lipo can I still have just as good as results? Thanks

Smart Lipo and Umbilical hernia

+1

Since most liposuction procedures,including Smart lipo, use the belly button as a surgical approach, it would be best to either have the umbilical hernia repaired  prior to your liposuction; or, if your surgeon is comfortable with hernia repairs, the hernia repair could be preformed at the same time as your Smart lipo.  Your results should be the same regardless of when you have your hernia repaired. I often repair umbilical hernias at the same time that I preform a liposuction or tummy tuck.  Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.vincentleporemd.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

You should have your hernia repaired before your Smartlipo procedure.

+1

Thanks for your question.  It is very important to have any hernias repaired prior to performing any liposuction procedure, including Smartlipo.  Your plastic surgeon may feel comfortable performing the hernia repair or they may refer you to another surgeon for the repair.  It is not worth the risks to proceed with the Smartlipo procedure without having the hernia repaired.  Most people recover quickly from an umbilical hernia repair.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo and umbilical hernia

+1

Thanks for your question and picture.  If you have a true hernia, you really should have that treated prior to any type of liposuction.  There is a real danger of causing significant damage to any of the contents of the hernia which could include the intestines. 

Liposuction and abdominal hernia

+1

If you have a true hernia, you are better off having the hernia fixed first before undergoing liposuction.  Good luck.

And SmartLipo

+1
I think it depends on whether this is a true hernia or whether it is just a separation of the muscles which is very common after pregnancy and some people might refer to this as a hernia.if there is a real bulge and something that can be "pushed back in", then it should probably be treated first.
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo and Hernia

+1

Great question and thanks for asking!  If you are considering having SmartLipo on your tummy, I strongly advise against it until you have the hernia fixed.  The risk is that the liposuction cannula could potentially injure the tissues within the hernia, and this in turn could lead to a bad outcome.  The wisest approach would be to have the hernia fixed prior to the liposuction, and this could even be done all in the same surgery if coordinated and done under general anesthetic.  If your liposuction is not on the tummy, then this is not anything you should need to worry about.  Best wishes!

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon