Still Seeking Fee Estimate NJ NY Philadelphia Breast Reduction 550-600g to Be Removed

I know what my insurance will cover. Now I need fee information. I will not be using an in network PS, but my insurance will pay a portion. To determine whether I can proceed I need actual figures. Coinsurance, deductibles and excess R&C come out of my pocket. If fees are $5k, 10k, or 50k, I know what I have to pay. Without the actual fee I cannot determine those costs. Don't worry about my insurance coverage. What is your fee?

Breast reduction surgery cost

+2

Breast reduction surgeries that I perform are very individualized. I spend a lot of time talking about desired size, shape, cleavage, lateral fullness, superior fullness, and techniques. If a patient chooses not to go through insurance ( more and more patients are choosing this because of the strict requirements) my range is any where from $6,000 to $12,000. Sorry for  such a huge range but it all depends on what needs to be done to make the breast look nice. Yes, I want to reduce the breast but also make a pretty breast.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Fees

+2

Breast Reduction fees vary from surgeon to surgeon, and sometimes a bit by geographic location.

I certainly understand how cost is a big concern. However, I would recommend that you chose a surgeon based on your comfort with him/her and their ability to give you what you are looking for.

In Manhattan, where I practice, fees for the procedure, the operating room and anesthesia usually run around $11-15,000.

Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Breast reduction fees vary

+2

Thank you for your question.  Fees obviously vary between surgeons and the total cost depends on whether or not you are including surgeons fees, anesthesia and operating room.  You should not select your surgeon based on fees.  You should look for the best surgeon who is also affordable for you.  If you go with the least expensive or the most expensive, you could be unhappy either way.  What you want is a good result.  Look for the most experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, not the price.  Talk with your plastic surgeon about their fees and you will know what you are going to pay, it varies too much to give you definite number.  I would guess in NYC it is between $8-20,000 for sugeons fees. Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Fees

+2

Fees are variable - you need to see the plastic surgeon so he can examine you and determine what is best. No two doctors charge the same fee and any estimate over the internet will be unreliable. You need to count in Dr, anesthesia and facility. Usually 10 - 15 K is a round number for the full costs.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

+1
Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction. More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit. If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage. Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight). Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes. The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option. Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Complicated breast reduction costs

+1

Breast reduction pricing can be very confusing. This is one of the few procedures that can be BOTH cosmetic, as well as reconstructive. 
Do you have insurance preauthorization yet? It's important to pin down from your insurance carrier that they are going to cover this procedure. Based on the plan you have, they will be able to give you exactly what your potential out of pocket expenses will be. 

You can see this is a hard question for docs to answer, because insurance companies NEVER tell us what they will pay. they state "usual and customary" for their reimbursement, but the actual $ amount is never disclosed before surgery. 

In these situations, my policy is to charge 7k up front. That is the MOST you will have to pay. This will include your coins and deductible. The bill will be submitted to your insurance company for doctor fees, anesthesia,surgery center, and pathology fees ( your breast tissue is sent to the pathologist for testing) 
If for some reason your insurance pays the bill in full, you will receive a partial refund for overpayment. Sadly, I've not seen insurance pay any bill in full, but the possibility does exist. 

More importantly, you should pick a PS who has good results with plenty of before and after pictures, you are comfortable with and trust with your life and your care. 

Hope that helps. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Washington DC

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Breast Reduction

+1

Though cost is important, it shouldn't be the most important factor in choosing a plastic surgeon. That said, breast reduction starts around $7,500. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction fees

+1

I think the most important thing for you to do is find a surgeon that you like, and trust to do your procedure.  Then I would go over fees to see if it is in your budget.  The goal is to do this once and not have to get a revision because of mediocre work.  Good luck.