Is it still ok to get restylene filler in the eye troughs if a person has severe dry eye?

I have severe dry eye but would love to have the restylene injections for my dark circles/tired look. Does this have any impact on the eyes themself? Also, I read in another question about restylene in the lips not lasting any more then a week. I had the same problem with getting my lips injected. I received 1cc, looked great when I left due to the swelling. By the following week you would never know I had it done. I was curious if my lips didn't last could the same happen with the eye troughs.

Undereye filler and dry eye question

+2

Undereye filler should not create a problem with dry eye. In fact, if part of your dry eye issue is drooping of your lower eyelid, it is possible that filler can improve that situation if performed properly. If your dry eye problems are due to decreased tear production, filler will likely not affect your symptoms in any way. To be sure, you can always ask your ophthalmologist about their recommendations as they know your dry eye symptoms the best.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry eyes and filler

+2
The tear trough deformity is separate from the lacrimal system, which controls tearing and moisturization of the eye. Filler won't help dry eyes, but it shouldn't make it worse. As for the longevity of fillers, it can last for 1-2 years when injected in the tear trough. There is always temporary swelling after injection, whether in the lips or in the tear trough, that disappears within two weeks. That may explain the "temporary" result experienced in the lips. You may need more filler to see a difference, which was artificially created from post-procedure swelling.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and dry eye

+2
It is probably ok to have filler placed in the tear trough and not interfere with your dry eye problem. Good luck.  Speak with your doctor to confirm.

Fillers ok if have dry eyes

+2
There is no contraindication between filler injection and dry eyes. Filler injection will not make dry eyes worse. In fact, at times, it may be injected differently to improve eyelid closure and improve dry eyes!

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear Trough treatment and Dry Eye Syndrome

+1
Restylane can usually be injected underneath the eyes for Tear Trough Correction in people with dry eye syndrome.If you have concerns about worsening your dry eye you should consult with your ophthalmologist.Tear trough correction can offer a wonderful solution to those with a dark, hollow, tired appearance.Most of my patients enjoy the benefits for approximately 18 months.Lip augmentation does not last as long due to the movement of the lips; it lasts a good deal less than in areas of the face that move less, like the tear trough.If your results diminished after the swelling went down, you likely need more filler next time.I hope this helps!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes.

+1
1.  Restylane does not affect tearing or dry eyes, therefore it would not make it worse.
2.  Restylane should definitely last longer than a week, if you have had a bad experience with restylane, then I would suggest a different filers (Juvederm).
3.  Usually filler lasts longer in the lower eyelids (8-10 months).
All the Best!
Dr. Tony Perkins.

Anthony Perkins, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon