Could I Still Have a Restylane Injection 4 Weeks into Pregnancy?

Hi, I am 4 weeks pregnant and I am an often restylane user. Could I still have an injection now while I'm on such an early stage? Thank you Rina

+2

I would have to answer this question as if it were my own family, and I would have to say no on this one.  The risk to benefit ratio is not known for this procedure during pregnancy.

Dr. Malouf

Dallas Dermatologist

Restylane During Pregnancy

+2

There are no studies examining the safety and effects of Restylane injected during pregnancy. I typically advise all my female patients to discontinue their Restylane and dermal filler procedures while they are pregnant. These elective procedures can be restarted after pregnancy.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and pregnancy

+2

You should wait until after your pregnancy to have further Restylane injections.  You may retain more water during pregnancy making your filler plump up more and you may not even need the additional filler.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane during pregnancy?

+2

There have never been any studies about the safety of Restylane it any fillers during pregnancy so one cannot state with any degree of confidence that it's safe. However common sense would suggest that it's better to defer until you have delivered. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Restylane during pregnancy?

+2
I do not recommend an elective procedures during pregnancy. This has not been studied. Additionally, local anesthesia includes epinephrine and this should not be used in a pregnant woman. With weight gain in pregnancy, your creases may be camouflaged and you may not need treatment until after you have lost the baby weight.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Restylane injections during pregnancy

+2

There are no studies showing the safety of Restylane injections during pregnancy and it is not not likely they will ever be done. For numerous reasons, common sense dictates that all elective procedures such as filler injections and neurotoxin injections be postponed until after your pregnancy has ended.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers during pregnancy

+1

The answer to your question is No. It is not safe to have any kind of filler done during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. There have not been any human studies to determine the safety of fillers on a fetus during pregnancy, therefore the risk is not worth the benefit especially during the first trimester in which deveolpment is most critical.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Restylane in pregnancy

+1

Agree with the other physicians - it's best to delay soft tissue filler such as Restylane till after pregnancy.

Anatoli Freiman, MD, FRCPC

Toronto Dermatology Centre

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Pregnancy and Restylane

+1

It is not advisable to have Restylane or any other dermal filler injections during pregnancy, as there aren't studies determining whether or not they are safe.

Sam Naficy, MD

Pregnancy & Restylane

+1

There is not any data to tell us whether or not Restylane may be safe for the growing baby during pregnancy.  In general, a growing fetus is most sensitive to chemicals and medications during the first 12 weeks of gestation, so I would certainly recommend against any cosmetic injections during this portion of your pregnancy.   Furthermore, I think you'll find most cosmetic specialists will not recommend any filler or botulinum toxin injections while pregnant.   If you desire, your OB is probably another source of good advice in this area.

I'd recommend waiting at least 36 weeks until the baby arrives.  Best Wishes!

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon