Can I still qualify for liposuction if I'm 5'7 and 240? (photo)

I thinking about removal of back fat and love handles and a little lower abdomen fat... Am I being realistic?

Liposuction and obesity

+1
Liposuction is relatively contraindicated in obese patients. It doesn't mean that you can not have the procedure completed, but you need to fully understand the likely outcome, results, and risks. You will have much better results with diet and exercise. And you will be a more healthy patient who will be able to maintain your results if you become more healthy with your diet and activities.   

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can I still qualify for liposuction if I'm 5'7 and 240?

+1
I think you can consider liposuction at some point but for right now, losing some weight would be a better focus.  Liposuction is best for contouring or removing a problem area or pocket of fat that doesn't go away with working out and leading a healthy lifestyle.  If you do liposuction right now, I don't think you will be pleased with the results and may be left with excess skin which opens up a whole other set of concerns.  It would be better to reach a weight that you can maintain and are comfortable with and at that time, re-evaluate what your concerns are.  Then to find out what your best options are go see a board certified plastic surgeon and go over your concerns and expectations at that point.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at 5'7" and 240lbs

+1
Liposuction is a powerful tool but limited. In the wrong person the end effect is not just inadequate results but irreversible harm.  If you look you will absolutely find someone who would suction a little fat off but I do not think it is in your best interest.  That time and money would be best spent, in my opinion, meeting with specialists who will help you improve your lifestyle. Then, if you desire surgery in the future, it will be to get a great result, not just a different one.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
No, based on your description, you are not a candidate for liposuction surgery. Your current weight make you a very high risk for complications. Avoid surgery at this point but consider “consultations” with personal trainers, nutritionists, and/or physicians who specialize in helping patients achieve their long-term goal weights and health goals. Best wishes.

Liposuction in the obese patient

+1
Hi there.  You are very wise to question whether or not your expectations are realistic. 

From your photos, it looks like your excess fat is evenly distributed.  Liposuction will only remove 10 - 12 pounds at the most and my guess is that after all the expense and recovery time, you will end up disappointed. 

I recommend you check out the weight loss center at Swedish Hospital in Seattle.  Obesity is a serious medical problem and deserves specialty care. 

Once you are at a reasonable and stable weight, then body contouring can be considered.  You will be at much lower risk for complications and you will be more likely satisfied with the outcome.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Weight loss vs liposuction

+1
Liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss but can treat specific problem areas which tend to disproportionately gain weight.  

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Am I Realistic in Hoping Liposuction Can Help Me? 5'7" 240 lbs.

+1
You could do some limited liposuction, but for safety reasons, I think you should lose weight to under 200 first. This will decrease your surgical risks. Your expectation should be for some slimming, nothing ideal, but an improvement to help you feel less bulky. Liposuction is not for weight reduction. The amount of fat in a large 5,000 cc reduction is only about 12 lbs. You can see that losing 40 or more lbs is the safest, least expensive, and most effective way to go.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes but doing weight loss before liposuction is a better plan. Seek IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSs in your city/state..// 

+1
Weight loss to about 200 lbs would produce a much more pleasing result when the maximum of 5 liters is removed at that lower weight.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

+1
It sounds appealing to try liposuction, but you are not a good candidate currently. The best candidates are those patients at or near their ideal weight. Currently your BMI is over 35. You would want to get it well under 30 before considering this procedure. Otherwise you would be at high risk and would be wasting your money as the results would be little if any improvement. Liposuction risks rise to lifethreatening when we try to take more than 5000cc of fat off and that would be inadequate to achieve results you would find satisfactory.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD