Still Having Pain 5 Weeks Post Op, Possible Causes?

I had a smas lower face and neck lift 5 weeks ago. Unfortunatly I had complications-- multiple hematomas, severe swelling and bruising. In fact I am still bruised. My lift is looking great but I have been experiencing pretty intense pain on and off the past 5 weeks on one side near the ear, jaw joint and temple. I have been to my doctor many times. One time it felt better after draining but I am past that stage now and the pain is back. Doc has no answers.

Pain following neck lift.

+1

Thanks for your question.  You are still at a very early phase of the healing process.  The pain you are experiencing is from sensory nerves that can take months to finally "calm down" after elective facial surgery.  massage might help in certain situation.  Otherwise the best solution is time.  I know that isn't a very satisfying solution but given enough time your pain will abate and the nerves will be significantly less irritated and swollen.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pain after neck lift

+1

5 weeks is still relatively early in healing process after your surgery.  There are still irritated nerves and tight muscles.  Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Sam Naficy, MD

Face lift Pain 5 weeks after

+1

With the hematomas and swelling and bruising, you inflammatory stage will be more pronounced and with more pain. This will get better with time. Treatment would include usage of different types of pain medication including benzodiazepines, opiates, muscle relaxants, tricyclic anti depressants, etc. I would start these slowly and only followed by someone who is experienced in doing this. Steroid injections will help in the areas that are really painful as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Having hematomas, at all, and certainly multiple ones is very rare in Minimally invasive Face Lifts, IMHO and experience, because of the limited tissue dissection.  If the pain is decreasing, this can be attributed to the localised irritation, that blood (hematomas), causing in tissues.  Ultrasound can decrease the increased scar formation hematomas may cause and help with the discomfort.  Continue to follow up with the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Face and Neck Lift.

Pain 5 Weeks Post Facelift

+1

It is very unusual to have pain 5 weeks after a facelift, but you had a difficult post-op coarse. As long as the discomfort is decreasing, be patient. Massage and ultrasound may be helpful. Continue your followup with your surgeon.

+1

Try external ultrasound therapy on areas that seem to be causing the pain. Otherwise seek neurology consult. 

Pain after facelift

+1
Pain around both ears normal five weeks following facelift, but general trend should be toward resolution. If not, try to localize source of pain, to see if neuroma developing. Use analgesics, ear pads, warm compresses, massage, and any other helpful symptomatic treatment.

Steve Laverson, MD

Face lift

+1

If your pain can surely be not attributed to recurrence of hematoma, and there is no apparant reason. Then the pain is expected after so much complications and hematomas. You need to be refferred to a pain management team to control the pain before it becomes chronic. There are new medications that can alleviate your nerve pains.