Should I still have numbness and pain 12 days after Cool Sculpting?

I'm on day 12 after my Cool Sculpting procedure to my lower abdomen and flanks. Most people I've read reviews from are no longer experiencing pain or numbness. I definitely still have numbness to the touch of my abdomen and pain is less frequent but still strong in the evenings. Is this normal?

Numbness and Tingling

This varies from patient to patient but can persist in some cases. Be patient, it takes some time in certain individuals to resolve. 

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Numbness and pain after Cool Sculpting?

The numbness and tenderness vary from patient to patient. We have not had a patient who was restricted in their daily activities by the numbness or tenderness. Some patients do not experience these side effects at all, and many having the numbness and tenderness going away in days. Some patients will have improvement in the tenderness and numbness but the effects may linger for approximately a month.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

It could be quite normal although not commonly seen

The numbness is a temporary side effect after coolsculpting. It should gradually resolve within 2-4 weeks. Some of the most common side effects include bruising, soreness, pinching and tingling under the skin and mild cramping. All of these should improve in 1-2 weeks. Most patients can return to their normal activities immediately after the treatment and are not bothered by the downtime. But if you are concern you should talk to or see your doctor to diiscuss these concerns

Cool sculpting of the abdomen

Yes you can still have numbness or a heavy feeling when you touch.  Also the area can remain sensitive.  This should decrease as the days and weeks pass by after the treatment.

CoolSculpting numbness

We have patients experience a combination of numbness and soreness for 2-4 weeks but each week gets markedly better and eventually completely goes away. As long as it doesn't stop you from your daily activities, it is all normal.

Deborah Pan, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Side effects of CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is a great way to treat the bulges on the lower abdomen and flanks.  Numbness and some pain can last for up to two weeks after the procedure.  If you have any concern you should return to your treating physician for examination.

Pain and numbness after CoolSculpting

The numbness that occurs after CoolSculpting can take up to 8 weeks to resolve completely, so it would not be unusual to still have some numbness 12 days after the procedure.  Some people do get return of sensation faster than others though.  In regards to pain after the procedure, this varies as well.  It is possible to still have some pain 12 days after the treatment, but it should be improving, as it seems your pain is.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon